Chapter 45: Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Spinal
1. The nurse is providing health education at a community center. Which instruction does the
nurse include as part of client education for
Chapter 18: Care of Postoperative Patients
1. The nurse is caring for a client who had surgery 24 hours ago. He is alert and oriented when
awakened and reports pain, but goes back to sleep when not being stimulated. He is on
Chapter 12: Concepts of Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
1. The nurse has been assigned the role of triage nurse after a weather-related disaster. What is
the priority action of the nurse?
Call in additional staff to assist wi
Chapter 15: Infusion Therapy
1. Before the administration of intravenous fluid, it is most important for the nurse to obtain
which information from the health care providers orders?
Intravenous catheter size
Osmolarity of the sol
Chapter 13: Assessment and Care of Patients with Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
1. The nurse observes skin tenting on the back of the older adult clients hand. Which action by
the nurse is most appropriate?
Notify the physician
Chapter 16: Care of Preoperative Patients
1. A client voluntarily signed the operative consent form. What is the nurses next action?
a. Teach the client about the surgery.
b. Have family members witness the signature.
c. Sign und
Chapter 24: Care of Patients with Cancer
1. What statement indicates that the client understands teaching about neutropenia?
a. I need to use a soft toothbrush.
b. I have to wear a mask at all times.
c. My grandchildren may get a
Chapter 29: Assessment of the Respiratory System
1. A client has undergone a thoracentesis. Which assessment finding requires immediate action
by the nurse?
Decreased level of consciousness
Chapter 35: Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
1. The nurse is caring for a client who has had a recent myocardial infarction involving the left
ventricle. Which assessment finding is expected?
Faint S1 and S2 sounds
Chapter 69: Care of Patients with Urinary Problems
1. Which client is at greatest risk for development of a bacterial cystitis?
a. Older woman not taking estrogen replacement
b. Older man with mild congestive heart failure
Chapter 34: Care of Critically Ill Patients with Respiratory Problems
1. The nurse is caring for a client receiving heparin and warfarin therapy for a pulmonary
embolus. The clients international normalized ratio (INR) is 2.0. Wh
Chapter 2: Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Therapies
1. The nurse wishes to learn more about the clients use of natural products and their
effectiveness. The nurse consults the National Center for Complementary and
Chapter 74: Care of Patients with Gynecologic Problems
1. A client is in the clinic reporting stress incontinence. Which other assessment is the priority
for the nurse to perform?
Ask the client about vaginal discharge or bleedin
Chapter 76: Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Disease
1. The nurse is teaching a young woman about her risk of contracting a sexually transmitted
disease (STD). Which statement by the client indicates that further instru
Chapter 70: Care of Patients with Renal Disorders
1. On assessment of a client with polycystic kidney disease (PKD), which finding is of greatest
concern to the nurse?
Bloody and cloudy urine
Chapter 75: Care of Male Patients with Reproductive Problems
1. The nurse is assisting a client with limited mobility into position for examination of his
prostate gland. How does the nurse best assist the client?
Assist the clie
Chapter 57: Care of Patients with Esophageal Problems
1. What is the pH range of the distal esophagus?
a. 1.5 to 2.0
b. 3.0 to 4.5
c. 4.5 to 6.0
d. 6.0 to 7.0
The pH of the lower esophagus is neutral (normal).
Chapter 63: Care of Patients with Malnutrition and Obesity
1. The nurse is caring for a female client who is 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs 115 pounds. The
client asks the nurse if she needs to lose weight. Which response by th