Unit 6 Assignment
Chapter 13: pp 557 Exercises 2-4
2. Which command would you give to update all installed packages using yum?
# yum update
3. Why would you build a package from its source code when a (binary) rpm file is available?
The source code
Unit 10 Assignment
Chapter 19: Exercises 1-6
1. What changes does FTP make to an ASCII file when you download it in ASCII mode to a Windows machine
from a Linux server? What changes are made when you download the file to a Mac?
FTP only makes chang
Unit 9 Assignment
Chapter 24: pp 890 Exercises 1-7
1. What kind of server responds to recursive queries? How does this server work?
A DNS server that is setup with to perform recursive queries or an SQLserver
2. What kind of DNS record is likely to
Unit 8 Assignment
Chapter 21: Exercises 5-6
5. How does an LDAP directory differ from a relational database system?
LDAP has no notion of rows, tables, or other database elements. LDAP has no notion of relational
integrity LDAP data is a hierarchic
Unit 7 Assignment
Chapter 22: pp 815 Exercises 1-6
1. What are three reasons to use NFS?
Performs well over high-latency, low-bandwidth Internet connections
Improves performance by making extensive use of caching on the client
Has lock and mount pr
Unit 3 Assignment
Chapter 7, p. 251, Exercises 1, 3, 4, 8
1. The shell waits for it to finish before it gives you another prompt and allows you to continue. Run
the command in the background by using an ampersand (&) just before the Return stroke t
Unit 5 Assignment
Chapter 18, Exercises 1 -6.
1. What is the difference between scp and sftp utilities?
The SCP (secure copy) utility copies an ordinary or directory file from one system to another on a
network SFTP is a secure FTP Client.
2. How c
Unit 1 Homework
1) What is free software? List three characteristics of free software.
Free software is developed through the cooperation of numerous people around the world. All
the source code is free. You are able to study it, redistri
Unit 4 Assignment
NT 1430 Unit 4 [Chapter 14: pp 582 Exercises 1-5]
1. Which commands can you use from the command line to send a file to the default printer?
lpr/lp sends job(s) to the printer
lpr prints a file
2. Which command would you give to c
Unit 2 Assignment
1. Which commands ca you use to determine who is logged in on a specific terminal?
3. What happens when you give the following commands if the file named done already exists?
cp = copy
mv = move
4. How can y