Unit 6 Discussion
Exploring and Discussing YUM
When Red Hat Linux was first released it did not include a tool for managing updates.
RPM could install or upgrade individual software packages but it was up to the user to locate any
Ex 2-4, 5
2. # yum update
3. Because a source code you can modify the shell, and with a binary you cannot also some
binary distributions require that you unpack the software from the root directory.
4. Some advantages are
Unit 5 Discussion
Explore & Discuss Mail Service
Email messages transaction is done using a client/server topology. An email message is created
using a mail client program that sends the message to an email server using SMTP protocol.
MODULE 2 SHORT ANSWER
August 15, 2016
MODULE 2 SHORT ANSWER
There are many different kinds of I/O devices for operating systems. Different I/O
devices are fax machines, scanners, printe
Unit 4 Ch14, pp.582
2. Cancel a, lprm.
3. $ lpstat.
4. Allows windows and OS/2 clients to send print jobs to the printer.
5. System-config-printer, lpinfo, lpadmin. Native protocol? IPP.
1. $ iptables F [chain] Omit chain to flush all chains and their rules. Chain would be the chain
that would be flushed.
2. # /sbin/iptables -L
3. Iptables for linux is the equivalent of firewalls for windows. I
Unit 7 Discussion
Sharing File with NFS
The NFS protocol a UNIX de facto standard was developed by Sun Microsystems. It
allows a server to share selected local directory hierarchies with client systems on a
heterogeneous network. NFS
1. Edit the /etc/aliases file to include the entry below:
System: root, /var/logs/systemmail.
2. Max needs to create a ~/.forward file with the following lines:
$ cat ~/.forward
3. If your
Unit 3 Ch7, pp.251
Ex 1, 3, 4, 8
1. The shell executes a program when you enter a command in response to its prompt. For
example, when you give the ls command, the shell executes the utility program named ls. As
you enter a command li
Unit 2 Discussion
Exploring & Discuss Linux File system
Linux provides a secure hierarchical file system. A file is a big collection of different
types of information such as text for memos or reports, images, songs and even videos. F
Ex 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
1. Is each of the following an absolute pathname, a relative pathname, or a
a. milk_co - File name
b. correspond/business/milk_co - Any pathname that does not begin with the root directory
Ex 1, 3, 4, 8, 10
1. Which commends can you use to determine who is logged in on a specific terminal?
The w utility displays a list of the users who are logged in. The information that W
displays is useful when you want to