2. A central office is found in the local telephone network and has all of the
subscriber lines terminating on an MDF. A local class 5 switch is also
located in the central office as is trunking circuits
IT 321 Fri Week 5 Telcom
1. f- all of the above
2. a = true
5. b = false
10. b = false
11. a =true
13. e =b, c, d
19. b =false
20. f =a, c, d
22. I = a, d, f
23. a =true
24. c = white, red, black, yellow, violet
Week 1 Notes
Chapter 9 Telecom Book
CPS Central Processing System
Does system recovery, software upgrades, stores routing information, distributes
information to subsystems and billing.
NPA NXX XXXX
Area Code Exchange Code Subscriber Line Number
IT 321 Fri Week 1 Telcom
2. a) CPS- Acronym for central processing system. It Refers to the brains of the switch.
b) NCP-Network control processor-The mini brains of the switch.
c) ICS-Interface Controller-This is the interface between the NCP
IT 321 Fri Week 2 Telcom
Holly Stark pg 279 2-16
2. Ringing voltage signaling is the method used to tell the subscriber that someone is
4. Each digit on a rotary dial has a defined number of pulses that click when dialed and
IT 321 Fri Week 3 Telcom
4) Most carriers deploy two MGCs, one a primary MGC and one as a backup.
6) d- Connecting to the local central office switch.
10) RTP works with the layer 4 protocol UDP to c
IT 321 Fri Week 4 Telcom
8. d- counteract the capacitive effect on the circuit allowing the signal to
travel farther down the line.
12. h- all of the above
15. f-scattering, absorption, and radiation