Saturday class page 182,183,221,222
1. Which commands can you use to determine who is logged in on a specific?
Terminal? W or Who
2. How can you keep other users from using write to communicate with you? $ write max
Why would you w
Unit 4 Exercises
Chapter 10, p. 403, Exercise 1
1. Describe the similarities and differences between these utilities
a. scp and ftp
Answer: SCP stands for Secure Copy Protocol, and FTP is an acronym for the File
Transfer Protocol, which was the original f
Unit 3 Exercise
1. While the command is executing, the shell waits for the process to finish.
When you run a command in the background, you do not have to wait for the command to finish
before running another command
3. Process Identification (P
Unit 2 Assignment
Chapter Exercise p. 182 (1, 3, 4, 8, 10)
1) What commands can you use to determine who is logged in on a specific terminal?
who, whoami, who am i, finger and w
3) What happens if you give the following commands when the file done already
Unit 1 Assignment
1.) What is Free Software?
a. 3 characteristics of free software.
-The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0)
-The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1)
-The freedom to
Week of 10/31/13
To troubleshoot a network, you need to know several pieces of information.
You need to know how IP addressing works, how IP subnetting works, as well as IP routing,
RIP-2, and many related protocols, like ARP and E
1. Explain a chroot jail. Allows you to run with a root directory other than /.
2. Explain what DROP, REJECT, and ACCEPT mean when discussing iptables.
Accept allow incoming connection
Reject block incoming connectio
.- root domain
Org Top-levl domain
Example. Second-level domain
serverA. Third-level domain
www. is the third-level
sales.microsoft is the second-level
.com is the first-level
Dig does DNS lookup
Nslookup provide- Qu
Unit 7 Saturday class
A. What is the Mandatory Access Control? Why is it better than Discretionary Access
Mandatory Access Control (MAC) is under the control of the system administrator,
which enforces the security policie
Unit 7 Saturday class
The most compelling reason to use the Apache Web server is that, by design, Apache is
highly configurable and extensible by virtue of its support for add-on modules. The
Apache Application Pr
Chap 18 pg. 699
1. Difference between scp and sftp utilities?
SCP is a secure file copy utility and SFTP is a secure file transfer protocol even though it
does not have anything to do with the FTP we are used to in windows.
2. How can you use SSH t