Chapter 12: Schizophrenia and Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders
1. A person has had difficulty keeping a job because of arguing with co-workers and accusing
them of conspiracy. Today the person shouts, Theyre all plotting to destroy me. Isn
Chapter 04: Settings for Psychiatric Care
1. Inpatient hospitalization for persons with mental illness is generally reserved for patients who:
a. present a clear danger to self or others.
b. are noncompliant with medication at home.
Chapter 09: Communication and the Clinical Interview
1. A patient says to the nurse, I dreamed I was stoned. When I woke up, I felt emotionally
drained, as though I hadnt rested well. Which response should the nurse use to clarify the
Chapter 01: Mental Health and Mental Illness
1. A staff nurse completes orientation to a psychiatric unit. This nurse may expect an advanced
practice nurse to perform which additional intervention?
c. Establish therapeutic relationships.
Chapter 13: Bipolar and Related Disorders
1. A person was online continuously for over 24 hours, posting rhymes on official government
websites and inviting politicians to join social networks. The person has not slept or eaten for
Chapter 14: Depressive Disorders
1. A patient became severely depressed when the last of the familys six children moved out of
the home 4 months ago. The patient repeatedly says, No one cares about me. Im not worth
anything. Which response
Chapter 02: Relevant Theories and Therapies for Nursing Practice
1. A parent says, My 2-year-old child refuses toilet training and shouts No! when given
directions. What do you think is wrong? Select the nurses best reply.
a. Your child ne
Chapter 18: Feeding, Eating, and Elimination Disorders
1. Over the past year, a woman has cooked gourmet meals for her family but eats only tiny
servings. This person wears layered loose clothing. Her current weight is 95 pounds, a loss of
Chapter 20: Sexual Dysfunctions, Gender Dysphoria, and Paraphilias
1. A new staff nurse tells the clinical nurse specialist, I am unsure about my role when patients
bring up sexual problems. The clinical nurse specialist should give clarif
Chapter 17: Somatic Symptom Disorders
1. Which assessment data would help the health care team distinguish symptoms of conversion
(functional neurological) disorder from symptoms of illness anxiety disorder
Chapter 15: Anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Related Disorders
1. A nurse wants to teach alternative coping strategies to a patient experiencing severe anxiety.
Which action should the nurse perform first?
Verify the patients learning styl
Chapter 24: Personality Disorders
1. A health care provider recently convicted of Medicare fraud says to a nurse, Sure I
overbilled. Everyone takes advantage of the government. There are too many rules to follow
and I should get the money.
Chapter 33: Therapeutic Groups
1. A patient tells members of a therapy group, I hear voices saying my doctor is poisoning me.
Another patient replies, I used to hear voices too. They sounded real, but I found out later
they were not. The v
Chapter 21: Impulse Control Disorders
1. A 16-year-old diagnosed with a conduct disorder has been in a residential program for 3
months. Which outcome should occur before discharge?
a. The adolescent and parents create and agree to a behav
Chapter 08: Therapeutic Relationships
1. A nurse assesses a confused older adult. The nurse experiences sadness and reflects, The
patient is like one of my grandparentsso helpless. Which response is the nurse
Chapter 05: Cultural Implications for Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
1. Which Western cultural feature may result in establishing unrealistic outcomes for patients of
other cultural groups?
Chapter 35: Integrative Care
1. A patient tells the nurse, Ive been having problems with my memory. I read some
information on the Internet and started taking gingko. Select the nurses best response.
The Internet does not have reliable hea
Chapter 16: Trauma, Stressor-Related, and Dissociative Disorders
1. A nurse works with a patient diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder who has frequent
flashbacks as well as persistent symptoms of arousal. Which intervention should
Chapter 31: Serious Mental Illness
1. After 5 years in a state hospital, an adult diagnosed with schizophrenia was discharged to the
community. This patient now requires persistent direction to accomplish activities of daily
living and exp
Chapter 22: Substance Related and Addictive Disorders
1. A patient diagnosed with alcoholism asks, How will Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) help me?
Select the nurses best response.
a. The goal of AA is for members to learn controlled drinking w
Chapter 34: Family Interventions
1. A married couple has two biologic children who live with them as well as a child from the
wifes first marriage. What type of family is evident?
Chapter 11: Childhood and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
1. Which factor presents the highest risk for a child to develop a psychiatric disorder?
a. Having an uncle with schizophrenia
c. Living with an alcoholic parent
b. Being the oldest ch
Chapter 23: Neurocognitive Disorders
1. An older adult patient takes multiple medications daily. Over 2 days, the patient developed
confusion, slurred speech, an unsteady gait, and fluctuating levels of orientation. These
findings are most
Chapter 25: Suicide and Non-Suicidal Self-Injury
1. An adult outpatient diagnosed with major depression has a history of several suicide attempts
by overdose. Given this patients history and diagnosis, which antidepressant medication
Chapter 19: Sleep-Wake Disorders
1. A nurse cares for these four patients. Which patient has the highest risk for problems with
Retiree who volunteers twice a week at Habitat for Humanity
Corporate accountant who travels
Chapter 26: Crisis and Disaster
1. A patient comes to the crisis clinic after an unexpected job termination. The patient paces
around the room sobbing, cringes when approached, and responds to questions with only
shrugs or monosyllables. C
Chapter 28: Child, Older Adult, and Intimate Partner Violence
1. Which comment by the nurse would best support relationship building with a survivor of
intimate partner abuse?
a. You are feeling violated because you thought you could trust
Chapter 07: The Nursing Process and Standards of Care for Psychiatric Mental Health
1. A new staff nurse completes an orientation to the psychiatric unit. This nurse will expect to
ask an advanced practice nurse to perform which ac
Chapter 10: Understanding and Managing Responses to Stress
1. The adult child of a patient diagnosed with major depression asks, Do you think depression
and physical illness are connected? Since my fathers death, my mother has had shingles