Chapter 13 Genetics and Genomics
1. The sister of a patient diagnosed with BRCA generelated breast cancer asks the nurse, Do
you think I should be tested for the gene? Which response by the nurse is most appropriate?
a. In most cases, brea
Chapter 11 Substance Abuse
1. Which assessment finding would alert the nurse to ask the patient about alcohol use?
a. Low blood pressure
b. Decreased heart rate
c. Elevated temperature
d. Abdominal tenderness
Abdominal pain associat
Chapter 6 Complementary and Alternative Therapies
1. Which action by a new staff nurse indicates that further teaching about complementary and
alternative therapy may be needed?
a. The nurse massages the legs of a patient who has a left fo
Chapter 8 Sleep and Sleep Disorders
1. A patient complains of difficulty falling asleep and daytime fatigue for the past 6 weeks. What
is the best initial action for the nurse to take in determining whether this patient has chronic
Chapter 4 Patient and Caregiver Teaching
1. A patient with newly diagnosed colon cancer has a nursing diagnosis of deficient knowledge
about colon cancer. The nurse should initially focus on which learning goal for this patient?
a. The pat
Chapter 3 Health History and Physical Examination
1. A patient who is actively bleeding is admitted to the emergency department. Which approach
is best for the nurse to use to obtain a health history?
a. Briefly interview the patient while
Study guide exam 3 summer 2016
1. Streptomycin assessments
2. Review dosage of medications, mechanism of action, significant lab values to monitor, side
effects, and patient (client) teaching
3. Assessment of flu symptoms and treatments
4. Routes of ribav
Chapter 5: Chronic Illness and Older Adults
1. When caring for an older patient with hypertension who has been hospitalized after a transient
ischemic (TIA), which topic is the most important for the nurse to include in the discharge
Chapter 2: Health Disparities and Culturally Competent Care
1. The nurse is obtaining a health history from a new patient. Which data will be the focus of
a. Age and gender
b. Saturated fat intake
c. Hispanic/Latino ethni
Chapter 1: Professional Nursing Practice
1. The nurse completes an admission database and explains that the plan of care and discharge
goals will be developed with the patients input. The patient states, How is this different fro
Chapter 12 Inflammation and Wound Healing
1. The nurse assesses a patients surgical wound on the first postoperative day and notes redness
and warmth around the incision. Which action by the nurse is most appropriate?
a. Obtain wound cultu