Problem Set 1
Due Monday, Feb. 2
Read Chapter 1.
Do Problems 1.4, 1.8, and 1.9 in the textbook. Also do the following problems:
1. Consider the following network of first order reactions, with the indicated rate
Problem Set 3
Due Wednesday, February 25
Reading assignment: Finish reading through Section 8.1
1. Do problem 5.2 Note that in part (b) there is a typographical error: The left hand side of each of the
equations is a time derivat
Problem Set 4
Due Monday, April 12
Read Chapter 10 and Appendices 1 and 2.
1) Problem 10.6 in the text,
2) Write a Mathematica program to calculate the rate constant for a general collinear
reaction of the form
A + BC products
Problem Set 5
Due Friday, April 30
These proble ms are based on the material in Chapters 8, 9, and 11 plus the supplementary
material handed out in class.
1. Problem 11.1
2. Problem 11.2
3. Use the RRKM program to calculate the
There was some confusion between number and number density.
Let N be the number of molecules in volume V. Then the number density is n=N/V. In the
book, N is written as n, n is written as c, and nB is written as [B].
The flux of molecule i is given by