1. How has human variation been explained historically?
- Through divine creation, diabolical intervention, and the interaction of heredity and the
2. Why is human variation difficult to study?
- Human families are small compared to the how lo
2. Three modes of recombination in bacteria are conjugation, transformation, and transduction.
Conjugation is dependent on the F factor, which, by a variety of mechanisms, can direct genetic exchange
between two bacterial cells. Transformation is the upta
Why Call it Biocultural?
It is the study of the interaction of human biology, culture, and ecology
Culture is shaped by biology
Culture shapes human biology
Culture and human biology must adapt to biophysical environment
Why are Humans a Bioc
What is Racism?
The belief that real or perceived biological differences between groups are a legitimate
basis for differential treatment of groups
Levels of Racism
Individual racism: Racist beliefs and actions practiced by an individual
Biological Characteristics Related to:
Erect Biped Posture
Short, broad, flaring pelvis
Broad, wedge shaped sacrum
S-shaped vertebral column to absorb shock
Head balanced on vertebral column with foramen magnum well forward
Graceful neck for flexibility
A group within a larger culture that shares a specific cultural pattern that differs
from that of the larger culture core
- Leads to differences in enculturati
In What Ways Has Anthropology Been Sometimes Misused by Anthropologists,
Government, Museums, and the Media?
Often has aided the subjugation and exploitation of colonized people
Fieldwork often benefits only the anthropologist and not the people studied
Major Characteristics of the Biocultural Approach to the Study of the Human Species
It considers both biological and sociocultural aspects of the human condition
It is diachronic, dealing with humans both in the past and present
It stresses the comparativ
1. How does ecological denial differ from honest disagreement?
- Ecological denial is the willful dismissal or distortion of fact, logic, and data in the service of
ideology and self-interest. For example, the churchmen of the 17 th century who refused to
Gregor Mendel performed his first set of hybridization experiments with the
garden pea (pisum sativum)
The pea plant is self-fertilizing in nature, but it is easy to cross-breed; reproduces
well and grows quickly
Mendel chose true-breeding s
Dr. Joseph Schmidt
Organic Chemistry I
21 February 2015
The first Saturday Morning Science of the semester was based on the topic of
computable numbers. The presentation was given by Paul Hewitt who introdu