2. Consider a reinforced concrete deck supported by 5 prestressed concrete I-beams that are spaced at
8-6 for Illinois Department of Transportation. The deck is usually 9.5 thick with a 1.5 of wearing
surface. The top flange width of the beams is 18. Find
2. Design the reinforced concrete deck interior bays in Problem 2 of Homework 2, using the
mechanistic design approach in Example 4.1. Make reasonable assumptions when you need any.
Top cover Ctop = 2.5 in (Exposure to deicing salts)
2. Based on your prestudy of Example 4.1, find the Strength I and Service I limit state load
combinations for Problem 2 of your Homework 2, including only DC and DW for their
maximum positive and negative moments in the interior bays. Can you also identif
2. Based on your reading, identify the AASHTO load factors for the following loads for
Strength I Limit State: a) DC, b) DW, c) LL, and d) IM.
3. Do Problem 3.11. Make sure that you include the AASHTO multiple presence