Chapter 1 Review Questions (10 Points)
1. List 3 contributions of Galen to the study of exercise physiology.
One of the first to conduct experiments combining anatomy, physiology, and medicine
Writes some of the first documents relating to exercise quanti
ESS 467 Chapter 2 Review Questions (20 Points)
Define the following terms:
1. Glucogenolysis: stores in liver are reconverted to glucose for transport via the blood to
2. Glucogenesis: the production of glucose by the decomposition of glyco
ESS 467 Chapter 3 & 4 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. What does the term one calorie actually refer to (what is it a measure of)?
The amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1kg (or L) of water 1 degree C
2. Rank fats, carbohydrates, and prot
ESS 467 Chapter 4 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List 2 ways that ergogenic agents exert their effects.
Stimulates the nervous system
Increasing the storage and/or availability of limiting substrate
2. List 3 potential benefits of eating functional foo
ESS 467 Chapter 5 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. Describe the difference between kinetic and potential energy.
Potential Energy: Stored up energy which can be used for work
Kinetic Energy: Potential energy which has been set into motion.
List the 6
ESS 467 Chapter 6 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. At what percentage of the maximal capacity for aerobic metabolism does blood lactate
begin to increase in healthy, untrained individuals?
2. Explain the benefits of lactate shuttling.
Provides fuel fo
ESS 467 Chapter 8 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List 3 factors that affect total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).
Thermic effect of feeding
Thermic effects of physical activity
Resting metabolic rate
2. In general, give the 2 factors which explain wh
ESS 467 Chapter 7 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List 3 factors that influence anaerobic performance.
-Specific anaerobic training
2. Give the formula for computing RQ.
RQ = co2 eliminated. O2 consumed
3. List the general RQ v
ESS 467 Chapter 10 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List the 2 functions of the left and right sides of the heart.
The Right heart receives deoxygenated blood returning from all parts of the body, and
pumps blood to the lungs for aeration.
The left heart p
ESS 467 Chapter 11 Review Questions (20 Points)
Describe the difference between motor/efferent neurons and sensory/afferent neurons.
Motor or efferent neurons conduct impulses outward from the brain or spinal cord
Sensory of a
ESS 467 Chapter 12 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. Describe the difference between endocrine and exocrine glands.
-Endocrine glands secrete hormones into space around them.
-Exocrine glands contain ducts that lead directly to the area that requires the ho
ESS 467 Chapter 13 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List the 4 training principles and describe each one.
a.i. Requires exercising at intensities greater than normal
a.ii. Combo of frequency, intensity, duration, and mode
a.iii. Leads to the bo
ESS 467 Chapter 15 Review Questions (20 Points)
List the 6 factors which lead to body heat gain.
List the 4 factors which lead to body heat loss.
ESS 467 Chapter 14 Review Questions (20 Points)
1. List and describe the 3 types of muscle actions.
Concentric: Muscle shortens and produces tension through ROM
Eccentric: Muscle lengthens and produces tension through ROM
Isometric: Force is generated,
Bicycling Rules and Etiquette
September 6, 2012
National Standards/State Standards
I, II, IV, V, VI
The students will learn the rules and etiquette of bicycling on the road.
The students will learn saf
October 2, 2012
Seeking Common Ground
This team building exercise will help the participants get to know each other on a more personal
level. You start the activity off by placing seats in a circle (amount depen
Article Review 1
September 14, 2012
The article I reviewed was titled The Brand Personality of Large Sport Events. This
purpose for this article was to show the results of research on the brand personalities of major
sport events that
Article Review 2
September 16, 2012
The article I reviewed was titled Exploring the Relationship between Sponsorship
Characteristics and Sponsorship Asking Price. This article went in depth to find what determines
prices; the author us