Lab #1 Questions
What is the value? (The second field in the passwd file row for your userid) 1001
What is the error? Permission denied
What is the value? 6
Which algorithm does the value from the previous question indicate your shadow used?
Lab 1: Introduction to VCL; Identification and Authentication
Perform the steps described below. Answer the questions on BlackBoard under Lab 1 (the questions are noted below as well, but
use the BlackBoard form to submit your answers).
1. What is the benefit of logging?
To see what is taking place in an environment; to track the history and activity that
makes evidence plausible in court; makes auditing and investigations practical (64)
2. Discuss the difference b
1. What is the difference between verification and authentication of an identity?
2. How do we measure the rate at which we fail to authenticate legitimate users in a
3. What do we call the process in which the cli
Lab #2 Questions
1. Can you view your test file with the cat command now?
2. If yes, what is the content; if no, what is the error?
3. Can you view your test file with the cat command now?
4. If yes, what is the content; if no, wh
1. Explain the difference between a vulnerability and a threat.
Vulnerability- a weakness in a system
Threat- exploits a vulnerability and compromises CIA
2. List 5 items that might be considered logical controls. *
Lab 2: File permissions and logging
Perform the steps described below. Answer the questions on BlackBoard under Lab 2 (the
questions are noted below as well, but use the BlackBoard form to submit your answers).
1. Create a Ubuntu reservation on V
1. What type of cipher is a Caesar cipher (hint: its not transposition)?*
Substitution cipher (71)
2. What is the difference between a block and a stream cipher?
Main difference is the amount of data encrypted at one time:
Block: encrypts a pred
Classwork from snow day on 2/15/2016
1. The attack succeeded in both videos, but the second attack was not detected by Snort
because it was a "new" attack not in the Snort database. Given that the attacker created
a new user, changed the user
CYSE 101 2/1-2/3/2016
Monday 1 February 2016
I, V, and A
Password Complexity and Cracking
Wednesday 3 February 2016
o Physical, logical, and technical
Case Study: The Internet of