Classwork from snow day on 2/15/2016
1. The attack succeeded in both videos, but the second attack was not detected by Snort
because it was a "new" attack not in the Snort database. Given that the attacker created
a new user, changed the user
Lab #2 Questions
1. Can you view your test file with the cat command now?
2. If yes, what is the content; if no, what is the error?
3. Can you view your test file with the cat command now?
4. If yes, what is the content; if no, wh
Lab #1 Questions
What is the value? (The second field in the passwd file row for your userid) 1001
What is the error? Permission denied
What is the value? 6
Which algorithm does the value from the previous question indicate your shadow used?
Lab 1: Introduction to VCL; Identification and Authentication
Perform the steps described below. Answer the questions on BlackBoard under Lab 1 (the questions are noted below as well, but
use the BlackBoard form to submit your answers).
Lab 2: File permissions and logging
Perform the steps described below. Answer the questions on BlackBoard under Lab 2 (the
questions are noted below as well, but use the BlackBoard form to submit your answers).
1. Create a Ubuntu reservation on V
1. What type of cipher is a Caesar cipher (hint: its not transposition)?*
Substitution cipher (71)
2. What is the difference between a block and a stream cipher?
Main difference is the amount of data encrypted at one time:
Block: encrypts a pred
1. What is the benefit of logging?
To see what is taking place in an environment; to track the history and activity that
makes evidence plausible in court; makes auditing and investigations practical (64)
2. Discuss the difference b
1. What is the difference between verification and authentication of an identity?
2. How do we measure the rate at which we fail to authenticate legitimate users in a
3. What do we call the process in which the cli
CYSE 101 2/1-2/3/2016
Monday 1 February 2016
I, V, and A
Password Complexity and Cracking
Wednesday 3 February 2016
o Physical, logical, and technical
Case Study: The Internet of
1. Explain the difference between a vulnerability and a threat.
Vulnerability- a weakness in a system
Threat- exploits a vulnerability and compromises CIA
2. List 5 items that might be considered logical controls. *