ASTR100 HOMEWORK #6
DUE IN LECTURE APRIL 5
YOU CAN USE THE BOOK OR THE INTERNET TO LOOK UP INFORMATION TO HELP YOU ANSWER
QUESTIONS BUT YOU CANNOT JUST REPORT AN ANSWER FROM THE INTERNET! YOU NEED TO
EXPRESS YOUR ANSWERS IN YOUR OWN WORDS AND/OR DO YOUR O
ASTR100 Homework 2 Answer Key
1. Explain why lunar eclipses can be seen from anywhere on the Earth that can
see the Moon during the eclipse but solar eclipses can only be seen from
certain locations across the Earth.
The shadow of the Earth blocking the l
ASTR100 HOMEWORK #1 Solutions
DUE IN LECTURE THURSDAY FEB 9
1. EXPLAIN WHY ASTRONOMERS CAN STUDY THE EARLY UNIVERSE BY LOOKING AT DISTANT
GALAXIES AND STARS.
Astronomers study the early Universe by receiving the light from distant
galaxies and stars. The
Spring 2012 ASTR100 Final Exam Review
1. Planck Curve
As temperature increases, wavelength decreases.
Hotter star has more radio waves than colder stars and colder stars have
more gamma rays.
ASTR100 Homework 4 Solutions
1. Explain the Greenhouse Effect. Why is Venus Considered to be an example of a
runaway greenhouse effect?
The greenhouse effect occurs when sunlight passes through an atmosphere and heats the
surface of the planet. The surfac
ASTR 100 Homework #6 Solutions
1. Explain Doppler Shift. Give an example of Doppler Shift in your everyday
life (you can use light or sound).
The Doppler Shift is the change in frequency or wavelength of the light (or sound)
coming from a source due to th
ASTR 100 Homework #3 Solutions
1. Explain why Galileos observations of the phases of Venus were important to the
Galileos observations of the phases of Venus, along with his observations of the
moons of Jupiter, were the first new obse
ASTRO 100 HOMEWORK #5 SOLUTIONS
1. EXPLAIN WHAT THE FACTS THAT THE PLANETS ORBIT IN THE SAME DIRECTIONS AND
NEARLY IN THE SAME PLANE TELLS US ABOUT HOW OUR SOLAR SYSTEM FORMED.
The fact that the planets orbit in a plane and in the same direction around th
ASTR 100 Homework #7
1. What evidence is there that stars do not live forever? Think of two pieces of
observed evidence that support the idea that stars like our sun eventually grow old
One piece of observable evidence that stars grow o
ASTR100 - Homework 8 Solutions
1. List and describe the four main structural components of our galaxy.
Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is a spiral galaxy. At the center is the central bulge. This is a
spherical region of typically older stars that orbit in all