Key Terms page 469
1. Analytic Psychology: A branch of psychology that views the person as a constellation of
compensatory internal forces in a dynamic balance.
2. Anxiety: An intense emotional response caused by the preconscious recognition that a
Key Terms: page 391
1. Anorexia Nervosa: An eating disorder in which an individual weighs less than 85 percent
of her or his expected weight but still expresses intense fear of becoming fat.
2. Attributions: Judgment about the causes of outcomes.
Key Terms pg.359
1. Accommodation: The process by which the ciliary muscles change the thickness of the
lens of the eye to permit variable focusing on near and distant objects. Piaget, the
process of restructuring or modifying cognitive structures so that
Key Terms Page 313
1. Chronological Age: The number of months or years since an individuals birth.
2. Creativity: The ability to generate ideas or products that are both novel and appropriate to the
3. Criterion Validity: The degree to whic
Vocabulary: page 203
Acquisition: The stage in a classical conditioning experiment during which the conditional
response is first elicited by the conditioned stimulus.
Key Terms pg. 91
1. Action potential- The nerve impulse activated in a neuron that travels down the
axon and causes neurotransmitters to be released into synapse.
2. All-or-none law- The rule that the size of the action potential is unaffected by
Key Terms: pg. 53
Correlation coefficient (r) (p.50): A statistic that indicates the degree of
relationship between two variables.
Descriptive statistics (p.46): Uses mathematical procedures in an objective,
uniform way to describe different aspects of nu
Key Terms: page 433
1. Acute Stress: A transient state of arousal with typically clear onset and offset patterns.
2. AIDS: Acronym for acquired immune deficiency syndrome, a syndrome caused by a virus
that damages the immune system and weakens the bodys a
Key Terms Page 507
1. abnormal psychology- the area of psychological investigation concerned with
understanding the nature of individual pathologies of mind, mood, and behavior
2. agoraphobia- an extreme fear of being in public places or open spaces from