What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field that will keep an
electron afloat near the Earths surface? What about for a proton?
Consider the point charges at the corner of the equilateral triangle in Figure
Find the ne
1) If the rectangular coordinates of a point are (x, 4 m) and its polar coordinates
are r, 25, find x and r.
2) The position of an object is (-25 inches, 13 inches). Find the magnitude and
direction of this position.
3) From its nest, a bird flies 60 mete
(a) Point A is 1 cm from a proton and point B is 2 cm from the proton. Find the
voltage difference between points A and B. (b) Find the voltage difference if
the proton is replaced by an electron.
Two charged particles with charges of +5 nC and 3nC
The following charges are inside a shoe box: 5 C, 27 C, -9 C, and -84 C. (a)
Find the net electric flux through the shoe box. (b) Is the number of electric
field lines leaving the box equal to, less than, or greater than the number of lines
1) (a) A 3-F capacitor is connected to a 12-V battery. How much energy is stored
in the capacitor? (b) Another 3-F capacitor is connected to a battery and the
capacitor stores half as much energy as the first one. What is the voltage
difference supplied b
A thin, square piece of metal 50 cm on a side has a net charge of +0.4 nC
uniformly distributed. Find (a) the charge per area on the top face of the plate,
(b) the charge per area on the bottom face, (c) the electric field above the center
of the plate
1) A strong electromagnet produces a uniform field of 1.6 T over a cross-sectional
area of 0.2 m2. A coil with 200 turns and a resistance of 20 is placed around
the electromagnet. The current in the magnet is smoothly reduced to zero in 20
ms. Find the cu
1) Electrons in a cathode ray tube are accelerated from rest across 500 V of
potential difference. They then travel a distance of 10 cm where they hit a
screen at point O. This 10 cm of length is now filled with a uniform magnetic
field of 2 Gauss oriente
1) Two long, parallel conductors, separated by 10 cm, carry currents in the same
direction. The first wire carries a current of I1 =5 A and the second carries a
current of I2 =8 A. (a) What is the size of the magnetic field created by I1 at the
1) A 1-M resistor is connected in series to a 5-F capacitor and a 30-V battery.
Find (a) the time constant of the circuit, (b) the maximum charge stored on the
capacitor, and (c) the current through the resistor ten seconds after the final
connection is m