Polarity sensitivity: Can only occur in negation (negative context)
a. John didnt ever mention that.
b. John ever mentioned that.
Second sentence does not make sense.
a. Mary didnt lift a finger to help.
b. Mary lifted a finger to help.
a. I doubt
Professor Smith Office Hours
Tuesday 9 -10:30 am
2- 3:30 pm
How is meaning used?
- holding significance
- clarification (when misunderstood)
- means of getting somewhere
- logical conclusions
- I mean watering down redefinin
Review session for final:
1) Eats turkey Tell me what category it belongs to.
- which of four categories it belongs to. Stative, activity, achievement, or
- test for stativity: present test and see if it makes sense to be doing it absolute