More gas laws.
Combined Gas Law
1. A bicycle tire is filled with air to a pressure of 610 kPa at a temperature of 19oC.
Riding the bike on pavement on a hot day increases the tire temperature to 58oC and
increases the tire volum
The Kinetic Molecular
1. Consider a sample of CH4(g) at 273 K and 546 K.
a. Determine the average kinetic energy of the CH4(g) molecules at both these
b. Calculate the root mean square velocity of the samples in a.
c. Do all t
P1V1 = P2V2
1. Express each of the following pressures in the units indicated:
a. mm Hg
i. 0.456 atm
ii. 30 atm
iii. 6.20 atm
i. 2000 kPa
ii. 0.345 kPa
iii. 20 kPa
i. 100 mm Hg
ii. 0.300 mm Hg
iii. 3200 mm
Chemistry Foundations #2
1. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the heaviest baby ever born weighed
29 lbs 4 oz. (29.25 lbs). What was the babys mass in kg?
2. If the RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg per day and there are 70 mg of vitamin C per
1. A solution contains the ions Ag+, Sr2+, and Ni2+. Dilute solutions of NaCl, Na2SO4,
and Na2S are available to separate the positive ions from each other. In order to effect
separation, the solutions should be added in which order?
1. Consider the reaction:
C2H5OH(l) + 3O2(g) 2CO2(g) + 3H2O(l)
H = -1.37 x 103 kJ
When a 15.1 g sample of Ethyl alcohol is burned, how much energy is released as
2. The total volume of Hydrogen gas needed to fill the Hindenburg w
Chemistry Foundations #1
1. What are the components of the Scientific Method?
2. What is the SI base unit of mass, and how is it abbreviated?
3. What does the SI unit with the symbol A represent?
4. What SI prefix represents a trillionth? How is t
Partial Pressures and Stuff
1. A mixture of 2.0g of He(g), 7.0g of O2(g), and 10.0g Ar(g) occupies a container. The
total internal pressure is 935 torr. Find the partial pressure exerted by each gas.
2. A 7.5g sample of PCl5(g) is placed in an eva
1. Small amounts of Hydrogen are conveniently prepared by reacting Zinc with
Hydrochloric acid. What mass of Zinc is required to prepare 2.50 L of Hydrogen gas
at 765 mm Hg and 22oC?
2. When Carbon dioxide is bubbled into a solut
1. For the process:
H = 9.2 kJ/mol and So = 43.9 J/molK.
What is the melting point for Chloroform?
2. Given the following data:
1. Calculate the decrease in temperature when 2.00 L at 20.0 C is compressed to
2. 600.0 mL of air is at 20.0 C. What is the volume at 60.0 C?
3. What change in volume results if 60.0 mL of gas is cooled