You should know how to do the following:
1. Find the size and direction (Force RHR #1) of the magnetic force exerted upon a
charge moving in a magnetic field.
2. Analyze the motion of charged particles moving in electric and/or magnetic
fields. In particu
Since the ratio of neutrons/protons is bigger for U-238 than for the stable
isotopes of the two decay atoms (whichever two they happen to be), the
two decay atoms will have too many neutrons, and so will be
radioactive. This is the main source of the radi
Another element found in nature is 90Th232 .
This can be used in a breeder reactor, since
n1 + 90Th232
Th233 which decays (with a half life of 22.3 minutes and
27 days) to 92U233 which is a fissile material with a half life of 162,000
To run a
We can control sescape by controlling the size of the uranium fuel: we can
ideally have two sub-critical pieces of uranium and when we want, put the
two sub-critical pieces together to form a super-critical piece.
We can also control sabsorption by using
1. Find the potential energy of two or more point charges.
2. Find the net voltage at a point in space from one or more point charges.
3. Find the potential energy of a charge if you know the charge and the voltage at
the position of the charge.
Are the neutron, proton, electron, neutrino, and photon all elementary
particles, or are any of these able to be broken down into more
In beta decay, the neutron decays into something else, so maybe it has a
structure. When we throw
1. Analyze the basic operation of a transformer. Determine if a transformer is a step-up or stepdown transformer. Find the output voltage of the secondary coil given the input voltage at the
primary coil and the number of turns in each coil. Find the curr
One way: inertial confinement
Take pellet with hydrogen in it. Hit it with laser beams from many high
energy lasers, so that it heats up so quickly that the hydrogen atoms do not
have time to get away without hitting other hydrogen atoms.
Second way: Magn
1) a) Is there a minimum (other than zero) or maximum x-ray photon
energy from an x-ray machine?
b) Is there a minimum (other than zero) or a maximum photon
wavelength from an x-ray machine?
c) What is this (minimum or maximum) photon ener
When the interior of a massive star runs out of fuel, gravity will win and
cause the core to shrink. Since there is so much mass, there will be a
huge implosion of the core, which will cause a huge explosion of the
The power output in this supern