Name: Class: Date: ID: A
XPONENTS AND RADICALS: Non-Calculator Portion 112
1. Simplify each expression. Write the answer using positive exponents. Do not evaluate. (4 marks)
2. Express each entire radica
l 2 3
4x 3 (9x)
1. Simplify the expression w1~-, express your answer using 0111! positive exponents.
(272:)? I I
2. Identify the irrational numbers in this set. Order all the numbers from least to greatest.
, % 3454, 273 ,f0.25, a:
1. Stella is planning to go on a trip. Her vacation clothes are kept in a drawerthat measures 60 cm by 50 cm by
34 cm. Her suitcase measures 85 cm by 40 cm by 30 cm. Can Stella pack all her vacation clothes in the
2. A telephone pole i
11. As Tracy is driving, she sees a sign telling her the road has a 7% grade (Le. a rise of 7 meters for a horizontal
change of 100 meters). Which of the following expressions will calculate the angle between the road and the
a- -m[;] 0
. What is the'product of (x + 3) and (x + 4)?
a. f+7x+12 c. x2+12
b. x2+12x+7 - d. +7
The factors of 6x2 8x are
a. 2,x,and4x3 c. 2,x,and3x4
b. 2,0,311di d. 2, x, ad4x3
. Which of the foHOWing expressions is equal to 2x4 32 in My factored form?
a. 2(x2 +
Unit 2 Refriew Assignment
Infant 151 the choice that best completes the Statement or answers the question;
1. What IS the value of 14454?
:1. g c. g
49 . 7
b. 22 (L BA
49 l' ' 7
2. Evaluate 3W) 512 .
a. 8.0 c. 22.6
b. 13.1 _ ' d. 170.7r
init 1 Assignment:
Identt the choice that best completes the statement or 01151478719 the question.
1. Which referent best represents a length of 1 cm?
a. the height of a doorknob above the oor
b. the length of your forearm
c. the thic
19. Simpr: ELEV: _
a. CV; c. 2J3;
I). 8 x9 d. Ii]; '
20. Pam expanded and simplied (x 3 )(x2 + 2x 4 ) as shown below;
In which step was Pams rst error?
a. Step I c. Step HI
1). Step ]I d. There is no mistake
21. Determine an expression to represent the
7. Determine the length ofx, to the nearest tenth of a metre.
a. 5.2111 c. 12.3111
b. 9.311: (1. 14.7111
8. Determine the length of x, to the nearest tenth of a eenmetre.
a. 13.5 cm c. 68.6111
b. 29.0111 (1. 75.7111
9. Which distance below is longer?
'3. A water storage tank has a right cylindrical base and a domed top. The base has a diameter of 10 m and a
height of 12 m. The top is half a sphere with the same diameter as the cylindrical base.
a) Determine the volume of the tank.
Science 9 Chemistry STUDY GUIDE
Matter-Mass is the amount of matter in a substance or an object.
Volume-Volume is the amount of space that a substance or object takes
Kinetic Molecular Theory
The kinetic molecular theory states
Fossil Fuels and Minerals
- in 1973 the first fuel shortage crisis hit the USA and made us realize our
dependence on fossil fuels
- conservation techniques in your home
- replace burnt out bulbs with more e energy efficient ones
- the island of Mauritius was the home of the dodo bird
- sailors for over a hundred years, clubbed them to death and they still survived
- settlers and the animals that settlers brought with them killed the rest
- the dodo became ext
Adapting to the Environment
- theory of natural selection states that if a trait is beneficial to the survival of the
species it will be passed on to future generations but if a trait is not beneficial it
won't be passed on
- often it won't be passed on s
- the study of where plants and animals live throughout the world
- climate determines the types of plants, the types of plants determine the
herbivores and the herbivores determine the carnivore populations
Dispersal of Plants and Animals
Interaction and Evolution
- each organism has a unique role or duty to play in its community
- this role is called a niche
- it is possible that more than 1 organism can have the same habitat within a
community, but only 1 organism can fill a particular n
Living things and their Environment
- an environment consists of all the living and nonliving things with which an
organism may interact
- livings things don't just exist within an environment, they interact with it,
changing the environment and in turn b
- between 25 and 75 cm of precipitation / yr
- grasses are the main plant form since fires and migrating animals allow only
grasses to develop
- sometimes called savannas, or pampas
- many migratory animals live in the grasslands, giraffes, zebr
Protecting the Environment
- people can help prevent pollution by using energy wisely and by discarding
Safeguarding the air
- gases and particles given off when fuel is burned are called emissions
- fossil fuels rarely get burned completely
What can be Done about Pollution?
- conservation is the wise use of resources to extend their supply
- this would allow nonrenewable resources to last longer
- reduce the amount of pollution
- using appliances properly ( one large load), turn
- methods used to preserve and protect endangered species, manage populations of
wild organisms and ensure wise use of living resources are all forms of wildlife
- this implies that humans can be wise enough to manage the co