1. How is the world economy becoming more integrated than ever before?
The gradual lowering of barriers to free trade is making the world economy more integrated. The
modern manager operates in an environment that offers more opportunities. It
Principles of Management
Choose the best answer or response and place the identifying letter in the space provided at the left of
the question (2 points each).
1. _e_ All of the following are key components of the
1. What are some of the major challenges of managing in the new competitive landscape?
Four major challenges of managing in the new competitive landscape are dealing with
globalization, technological change, the importance of knowledge and ideas. More and
1. How do environmental forces influence organizations and how do organizations influence their
Environmental forces can influence organizations by making laws and regulations that would affect the
way organizations operate. These
1. What are some decisions you will face as a manager?
Some decisions that managers will face over time demand immediate action while others may take
weeks, months or even years to unfold. Programmed decisions are decisions encountered and mad
1. What are the basic steps in any planning process?
There are six basic steps in any planning process. The first step is called situational analysis which is
the time planners gather, interpret, and summarize all information relevant to the p
1. How do different ethical perspectives guide decision making?
Different ethical perspectives guide decision making by people have different morals. People have
different opinions when it comes to what is right and wrong in certain situations
1. Why do people become entrepreneurs and what does it take, personally?
Entrepreneurs start their own firms because of the challenge, the profit potential, and the enormous
satisfaction they hope lies ahead. People who start their own busines
1. How does differentiation and integration influence an organization's structure?
Differentiation means that organizations have many parts. Specialization means that various individuals
and units throughout the organization perform different
1. How do companies use human resources management to gain competitive advantage?
To succeed companies must set up their human resources to their strategies. Effective planning is
necessary to make certain that the right number and type of emp
1. Why is it critical for organizations to be responsive?
Organizations have a formal structure to help control what goes on within them. But to survive today,
firms need more than control. They must act quickly and adapt to fast changing dema
1. How do changes in the U.S. Workforce make diversity a critical organizational and managerial
The labor force is getting older and more racially and ethnically diverse, with a higher amount of
women. While the absolute number of worke
1. What does it mean to be a leader?
A leader is someone who influences others to accomplish goals. Leaders orchestrate change, set
direction, and motivate people to overcome challenges and move the organization toward its ideal
1. How can teams contribute to an organizations effectiveness?
Teams are building blocks for organization structure and forces for productivity,
quality, cost savings, speed, change, and innovation. They have the potential to
provide many bene
1. What are some important advantages of two-way communication?
One-way communication flows from the sender to the receiver, with no feedback loop. In
two-way communication, each person is both a sender and a receiver as both parties
provide and react to
1. Why do companies develop control systems for employees?
Left to their own devices, employees may act in ways that do not benefit the organization. Control
systems are designed to eliminate idiosyncratic behavior and keep employees directed
1. What are the types processes that spur development of new technologies?
Forces that compel the emergence of a new technology include a need for the technology,
the requisite scientific knowledge, the technical convertibility of this knowled
1. What does it take to be world class?
You should strive for world-class excellence, which means using the very best and latest
knowledge and ideas to operate at the highest standards of any place anywhere.
Sustainable greatness comes from, a