Germ Theory Te Theory that certain diseases have germs behind them.
Spontaneous Generation Life spontaneously generates from non-life.
Cell Theory The smallest unit that can be broken down to and still have life.
Physical Control Methods in Microorganisms
Sterilization killing all of the organism, including spores, nothing will be living.
Disinfectant and germicide kills vegetative cells but not necessarily spores. Are
Microbial Control Chemotherapeutic Agents
Chemotherapeutic Agents and chemicals that are used for treatment of infection diseases or malignancies.
Antibiotics are a specific class of chemotherapeutic agents t
Disease Processes - Epidemiology
Epidemiology The study of factors that are involved in the spread of disease within a population.
Terms of epidemiology,
1. The cause of a disease,
Immune System Components,
1. Non-specific Immunity,
1. first line of defense,
1. physical and chemical barriers,
1. unbroken skin/mucus membranes,
2. all body openings are lined with mucus membrane
All living things use DNA as their genetic material.
What does DNA do? They determine what enzymes an organism can make.
Phenotype Characteristics that show, human (hair color, height, shoe size, etc.
General Characteristics of viruses
1. They are considered to be non-living,
2. They are very, very small. Must be viewed with an electron microscope. About 100-1000 times smaller
(1) Amboeba Proteus (Stained Slide)
(2) Cyst of Entamoeba histolytica
(3) Mastigophora Old Man
(4) Plasmodium (blue ring)
*Be sure to zoom in (Sorry, not the greatest picture)
(5) Toxoplasma Trophozoite
Nematodes: Pinworm (Enterobius ve