Graphing Relations Quiz
a) What does the scatter plot show? (1 mark)
b) How many points were scored by the boy who
played 12 minutes? _ (1 mark)
How many boys scored 15 or fewer points?
_ (1 mark)
Circle these points. (1 mark)
Interpreting Graphs Introduction
The trend of a line or curve and the steepness of a line or curve can help you
understand what a graph is showing.
1. Which graph below is telling which story?
a. the height of a person over time
b. the heigh
Investigating Relationships - BALL BOUNCE ACTIVITY
Group Names: _ Date:_
To determine the type of relationship between the drop height of a ball and its rebound height.
I think that as the drop height increases, the rebound height will
Linear and Non- Linear Relations Investigation
1. Two students are working on an investigation of Linear Relations involving the
a. Sketch the next 3 figures in the pattern. (2 marks)
Linear Relations and First Differences
Explain how you know.
2. Which set of data is a linear relation? Explain how you know.
Rate of Change Note
The graph below shows how the distance changes over time during a trip. We can use
the graph to find the rate of change or speed of the car during the trip.
rate of change =
rise = the VERTICAL distance between points
Graphing Relations Review
What time are the lights shut off in the 2nd week? _
Lights shut off before 6:30 a.m. during which week? _
Which graph (s) would have the following table of
Walk This Way Investigation
1. Student walks away from home at a steady rate.
2. Student walks towards home at a steady rate.
3. Student walks away from home at a steady rate, then STOPS.
4. Student walks away from home at a steady rate, the
Drawing Scatter Plots
The following table shows the winning times in seconds for the 800-m race at the
Olympic Summer Games from 1960 to 1988.
Rate of Change
1. Determine each rate of change.
Careful with the
units for Nancys
2. Rate of change can refer to rates other than speed. Find the rate of change in the
situation below. What does the rate of change represent?
Curve of Best Fit
Draw a curve of best fit.
2. The money a person pays for a life insurance policy is called a premium. The
premium depends on many factors, including how much insurance you want and
your age. The monthly premiums one comp
Drawing Scatter Plots
The table below shows the world record times in seconds for womens 500 m speed
skating from 1983 to 2001.
Perimeter = 2L + 2w
Area = Length x Width
Perimeter = 4s
Area = s2
P = 2b + 2c
Perimeter = a + b + c
A = bh
Area = b x h
C = d or C = 2r
A = r2
A = (a + b) h
Measuring Rate of Change of Ramps Activity
We are going to measure the rate of change of several ramps around the school.
Compare the three ramps behind the school by the portablesRamp 1: By back door
Ramp 2: By portable 4/5
Ramp 3: By SS