Identify the type of growth (linear, quadratic or exponential) illustrated by each graph. Justify
Comparing Exponential Relations
How do the graphs of y = 5 and y =
Problems on Geometry
Maria is building a scale model of a garden shed. She will let 1 in represent 2 ft . If
the base of the shed measures 10 ft by 12 ft , what measurements will Maria need
for the model?
A standard golf ball has a diameter o
Investigate Geometric Shapes and Figures
Find the ratio of the length to the width for this rectangle.
2. Show how you can cover the area on a 3X4 grid, without gaps or overlaps, using
a) congruent triangles
Investigate Exponential Relationships
Pp. 372 373
1. Follow al of the instructions as set out in the text.
e) The equation of the relation:
Total Number of Rectangles
e) The e
The population of a certain country grows at an annual rate of 2%. If the current
population is 3 million, what will the population be in 10 years?
How long will it take the population to reach 5 million?
Floor Plan for the Vacation Cabin
1. Work with a partner. Your task will be to draw a floor plan for a vacation cabin
of your choice.
Select a suitable scale. For example, let 1 cm represent 1 m.
The cabin should have two bunkrooms an
Create Nets, Plans and Patterns
1. A cereal box has a height of 30 cm, a width of 20 cm and a depth of 5 cm. Aisha has a
measuring cup filled with 2 L of oatmeal. Will all of the oatmeal fit into the box? Explain.
(1 cm3 = 1 mL)
2. A piece of pap
Patterns with Exponents
Multiply powers with the same base.
(a) Complete the table showing the expansion of each product.
Zero and Negative Exponents
The Meaning of Zero and Negative Exponents
Use patterns to evaluate powers with zero or negative exponents.
1. Complete the statements. Describe each pattern.
Simple and Compound Interest
1. Complete the table. Use I = Prt for 7% on $1000.
2. Complete the table. Calculate the interest at 7% per
Modelling Exponential Growth and Decay
1. Truong studied a pond where frogs lay
eggs. He found the number of tadpoles
increased by a factor of 2.43 per day.
The number of tadpoles, T, can be
modelled by the relation T = 265(2.43)t,
1. A juice can has a height of 12 cm and must hold at least 350 mL of juice. Find the
minimum radius required, to the nearest centimeter.
2. Penny used a ruler and a compass to draw a regular pentagon using five congruent
Perspective and Orthographic Drawings
1. Use the Isometric Dot Paper to draw a hexagon that contains the least number of dots. How
many dots are there inside the hexagon?
b) Measure the sides of the hexagon. What do you notice?
2. a) You can buil
Simple and Compound Interest
Definition of Simple Interest
Simple interest is a fixed percentage of the principal, P, which is paid to an investor each
year, irrespective of the number of years the principal has been left on deposit. Cons
Present Value and TVM Solver
PV = A(1 + i)-n
is the present value, or principal
is the amount, or final amount
is the interest rate per compounding period
Design a Pentagonal House
An architect has designed a house in the shape of a regular pentagonal prism. The floor
forms a pentagon with a side length of 6 m. The five walls are congruent squares. The
peaked roof is made of five congruent equilate