Unit One: Functions and Relations.
Relation: relationship between two variables, values of x are paired with y, they can be repeated.
Function: a relation where each x value only has one y value.
Determine by: table of values
Sketching Reciprocal Linear Functions (1/x-/+b)
1. Sketch normal function first
2. Find vertical asymptote; it is what the denominator cannot equal (ex. (x-4), vertical asymptote is 4)
3. Use reciprocals of points on original graphs to find poi
Remainder Theorem: dividing polynomial by a binomial using long division or synthetic division. (Simply find the remainder)
Long Division: 1. Put divisor outside of chart (x-3) |-2. Divide first term in dividend (term being divided) by x term in
- n: always a whole number, represents the degree (highest x^ in equation)
- a: leading coefficient
- even degree functions
- point symmetry: line can be rotated 180 degrees and coincide with other line
- odd degree functions
- end behavio