Types of Government
Type of Government
- principle of blind
submission to authority,
as opposed to individual
freedom of thought and
- complete obedienc
Political Party Platforms and Policies
- maintenance and expansion of human rights and civil rights: gender equality, equal rights, workers'
rights, rights for the physical and mentally disabled, constitutional rights, Aboriginal peoples' treaty, etc.
* status of citizen with rights and duties
* democratic decision making
* making decisions, resolving conflicts, developing ideas
* elements of decision making
* examples: knowing politician candidates, knowing whats goi
The Court System
1. Identify the three levels of courts.
- Supreme Court
- Federal Court
- Court of Ontario
- Ontario Court of Justice
- Small Claims Court
2. What does "impartial" mean?
- fair and free of bias
3. What is the role of a judge? How does one
- hold on tradition
- don't like change
- hold on to the past and traditional values
- Fascism, Nazism
- nation comes first
- businesses tolerated but under control
- against opposition
- like c
When and Why?
1. Who calls them?
- federal general elections are called as a result of a proclamation by the Governor General, acting on the
advice of the Prime Minister
- general elections are called when, ion the advice of the Prime Minister,
History of Government Systems
Origins of Government
- word, Greek and Latin roots
Athens: The Birthplace of Democracy
- Athens, around 2400 year ago organized the world's first democracy
- "democracy" means "rule by the people"
- women, slaves and foreign
Government Systems Pre-Confederation
Aboriginal Political Structures
- tremendous diversity existed in the Aboriginal communities; from lifestyle, diet, housing, clothing and
- some tribes were matrilineal, however, most involved men domina
Canada and the United Nations
Origins of the United Nations
- created after WWII
- goal was to represent people and nations from all over the world
- the leaders of the allied nations met and discussed the formation of a global partnership
- on October 24
- the initial conference in P.E.I. achieved agreement in principle on the idea of creating a federal union
- George Brown of the Clear Grit Party from Canada West outlined three fundamental aspects of the