Alexandria, later moved
- biography written by
- first life of a saint,
- cured diseases
established that monks
could live together
- Latin enabled Brits to communicate with Gallic people
- Very popular idea of penance
- similar to ideas in Evagrius and Cassian: balancing of opposites (major sins and
way to combat sins)
- although Irish ideas of penance deal with concrete actions of w
- he uses the metaphor of a farmer to compare grace and free will. The
crops will not grow if the farmer does not put in work. But the farmer cannot
ensure his crops will grow, he is dependent on external factors. Just like
man can put in hard work but he
- Donatist schism:
- marriage, intercourse and paradise are incompatible
- eves sin is a twisting of the will: the point at which humanitys will
diverged from gods will
- sex and the will: sex urges are stronger than the will
- what, for Augustine, is the
- vandals come into spain, occupy city of toledo and northwest corner
- greeks come in, establish cartagena
- heavy influence from Africa
- Priscillian: spanish spokesman of ascetic tradition
- Martin of Braga
- adapted the desert tradition for
What is Arianism?
- Arius (250-336) asserted that the Son of God was a subordinate entity to
God himself and that the son did not always exist but was created.
- He was denounced at the council of Nicaea and the Nicene creed
What is Origenism? Origen (184
- naturalistic approach to miracles? miracles of prayer vs miracles of will
- What do holy people know? HOw do holy people gain their knowledge?
- parallel to Martin of Tours
- Benedict is also heavily involved in conversion
- he dedicates his chapel to S
- What made Benedictine rule so successful?
- more lenient/forgiving?
- ruler - regula - it measures. you can measure yourself against it
- read 3 times a year in common, read out loud
- listen with the ears of your heart. obey your abbott as though he is
at this point Priests married and passed their profession down to their
children. Ambrose takes a hostile position on marriage b/c of his negative
view on sexual desire
- hierarchies: both within society and within the person. reason over
- many prohibitions on what ascetic women cannot do
- Gregory of Nyssa.
- the way we live in the world (between man and woman) is not the
way we are supposed to be. Physical difference.
- Sexuality is a product, a consequence of the fall. Because after ma