Love in genesis- duty to someone else but a duty that you want to do. Not negative. You
want to fill that duty for the sake of the other person. Bond/obligation to someone else
that araises from wanted to achieve goodness. Cain-Abe
1. Natural hunger for power may prevent the fulfillment of contracts
a. Sovereign=common power to protect the fulfillment of contracts and punish offenders
b. Uses fear to protect contracts
2. Artificial force established via the contract established by t
1. Law of nature derived thru reason
a. Affirms self-preservation
b. Condemns acts destructive to life
i. Does not need to be written down because it can be deduced by oneself
2. Natural Man must seek peace to preserve ones life
1. Finally recognizes that God is made of a substance that does not take up any spatial area
2. He becomes shocked that a smart rhetorician like Victorinus would convert to Catholicism.
3. However, he still does not convert because he feels as though his
Pleasurable amusements are conducive to happiness but they dont lead to happiness.
The nature of virtue (takes constant use/practice). Pleasure is usually in excess
and does not follow the mean so it goes against virtue.
2. One who is just and follows the law will be virtuous
a. Virtue=own moral state
b. Justice=relations with one another
i. Universal justice=generally good/fair
ii. Particular=material obj