Is an extension of Mendel's ideas to the study of genetics at the population level.
Population genetics seeks to understand:
1. HOW inherited traits are distributed in diverse groups of people, or groups of a particular species.
The Chi-Square Test
Results and Conclusion
Lab Format, Grammar and
Defines the chi-square test
including the equation
Describes the application of
the chi-square test
including how values are
accepted or rejected
Unusual chromosomes found in somatic cells.
These chromosomes have undergone endoduplication of their chromosomes.
Unlike other somatic cells, these chromosomes are paired, the two homologs of each
chromosome are paired.
Types of RNA
1. hnRNA (heteronuclear RNA) pre-messenger RNA, found in nucleus, high degree of
variation,elaborate process in conversion of hnRNA mRNA
2. mRNA (messenger RNA) sequence that specifies a polypeptide, carries seque
first research on crossing
garden peas (Pisum sativum)
1868 Mendel becomes Abbot of monastery
1900 rediscovery by 3 botanists: Correns, DeVries, and Tschermak
1865/66 Gregor Mendel
Laws of Inhe
Genetics B214 Some Review Topics for Exams (NOT all inclusive)
1. Be able to discuss all of the stages of mitosis and meiosis, and be able to describe the major
process that occur during these processes.
2. Given diagrams of the processes of mitosi
3rd Criteria: No Selec9on for or against gametes.
4th Criteria: No Selec9on for or against a given genotype.
Ques9on: What could be the cause when we lack
Bio 214- Genetics Exam #1 Review
Exam Date: 2/18/2015
Chapter 1: Introduction to Genetics
1) Introduction to Genetics
a) Genetics- the branch of biology dealing with heredity and the expression of inherited traits
i) Heredity- transmission of traits from