7-1: Week 7 Exercises
-2. What do we mean when we say that a switch can filter traffic? Why is filtering
- A switch have access to station addresses and can forward a packet to the appropriate
segment of the network. In this way, they filter tr
4-1: Week 4 Exercises
-1. What is the position of the transmission media in the OSI or the Internet model?
- The transmission media is located beneath the physical layer and controlled by the physical
(Forouzan, 2013, p. 186)
-3. How do guided me
3-1: Week 3 Exercises
-1. What is the relationship between period and frequency?
- Period is the amount of time that a signal needs to complete 1 cycle, in seconds. On the other
hand, frequency means the number of periods in 1 s. So, they are inverse of e
Q17-2.What do we mean when we say that a switch can filter traffic? Why
is filtering important?
It can check the destination address of a frame and can decide from which
outgoing port the frame should be sent.
Data monitoring switches facilitate centraliz
Q3-1. What is the relationship between period and frequency?
Frequency and period are the inverse of each other. T = 1/ f and f = 1/T.
Q3-5. Distinguish between baseband transmission and broadband transmission.
Baseband transmission means sending a digita
11-1: Week 11 Exercises
-2. Assume the shortest path in a graph from node A to node H is A B H. Also
assume that the shortest path from node H to node N is H G N. What is the shortest
path from node A to node N?
- According to the principle we mention in
10-1: Week 10 Exercises
-1. Why does the network-layer protocol need to provide packetizing service to the
transport layer? Why cant the transport layer send out the segments without encapsulating
them in datagrams?
- The transport layer communication is
14-1: Week 14 Exercises
-1. During the weekend, Alice often needs to access files stored on her office desktop
from her home laptop. Last week, she installed a copy of the FTP server process on her
desktop at her office and a copy of the FTP client proces
13-1: Week 13 Exercises
-2. A client residing on a host with IP address 22.214.171.124 sends a message to the
corresponding server residing on a host with IP address 126.96.36.199. If the well-known
port is 161 and the ephemeral port is 51000, what are the p
9-1: Week 9 Exercises
-3. Rewrite the following IP addresses using dotted-decimal notation:
a. 01011110 10110000 01110101 00010101
b. 10001001 10001110 11010000 00110001
c. 01010111 10000100 00110111 00001111
12-1: Week 12 Exercises
-2. Operating systems assign a process number to every running application program.
Can you explain why these process numbers cannot be used instead of port numbers?
- Although this can be done for client processes, it is very inef
5-1: Week 5 Exercises
-1. Distinguish between communication at the network layer and communication at the
- Communication at the network layer is host-to-host; communication at the data-link layer is
(Forouzan, 2013, p. 239&
2-1: Week 2 Exercises
-1. Identify the five components of a data communications system?
1) Message: It is the information (data) to be communicated. (Text, numbers, pictures,
audio, and video).
2) Sender: It is the device that sends the data message. (Com