Employee Development Methods !
1- on-the-job techniques:!
job rotation: Moving employees horizontally or vertically to expand their skills, knowledge, or
Assistant-To Positions: Employees with demonstrated potential sometimes work under a
Chapter 6 Recruiting
The opening vignette for Chapter 6 is about the Container Stores recruiting approach.
The company combines an employee referral and customer contact strategy with a
focus on retention. Turnover
Understanding Cultural Environments
HRM operates in a global business environment.
Countries have different
political, economic, and legal systems
Globalization: a process of interaction and integration among the people,
Final Examination April 2014
MGT 211: HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Name of the Student .
Date. Student ID
Time: Two Hour
A. State True or False,
File: ch01, CHAPTER 1: HRM in a Changing Environment
1. In the 1920s, multinational corporations became commonplace.
2. In a collective society such as the United States, people are primarily concerned with their
Chapter 5 Human Resource Planning and Job Analysis
HUMAN RESOURCE PLANNING AND JOB ANALYSIS
The chapters begins by describing the intensive succession-plan for the new CEO at
Quest Diagnostics. The process of human resource plan
File: Ch04, Chapter 4, Employer and Employee Rights
1. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires federal government agencies to make available information in
an individuals personnel file.
Response: See page 92
Ref: The Priv
1. Socialization is a process of adaptation that takes place as individuals
attempt to learn the values and norms of work roles. True
2. Socialization can be conceptualized as a process made of two phases:
encounter and metamorphosis.
File: Ch06, Chapter 6, Employee Recruitment
1. A good recruiting program should only attract the qualified job seekers.
Response: See page 142
2. The first goal of recruiting is to communicate the
File: Ch11, Chapter 11, Compensation
1. Research finds that with the declining economic situation, employees only value financial types
of rewards, such as pay, which are designed to assist in maintaining employee commitment.
File: Ch05, Chapter 5, Effective Job Analysis
1. When ABC Manufacturing is in the process of determining its human resources needs, it
is engaged in a process called human resource planning.
File: Ch07, Chapter 7, Selecting Employees
1. The eight step selection process typically begins with the completion of the application form.
2. The initial screening is a thr
File: Ch13, Chapter 13, Health and Safety
1. Approximately 4,500 work-related deaths are reported each year in the United States.
2. Approximately 3.1 million injuries and illnesses are reported each year in the United
Chapter 3 questions for review
?What Is the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ,and what groups does it protect .1
?What are the implications of the Griggs v. Duke Power case for HRM .2
?What is an adverse impact? How does it differ from adverse treatment .3
1. The primary purpose of performance appraisal systems is to let employees
know their pay raises. FALSE
2. It is important for managers to recognize that no performance appraisal
system is perfect. TRUE
3. Wherever performance evalu
Generally, a higher inventory turnover ratio is considered a positive indicator of operating
efficiency, since inventory that remains in place produces no revenue and increases the cost
associated with maintaining those inventories. However, a higher inve
Principal, Daedalus Strategic Advising
All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2008 Tamara Bekefi
Chapter 1: A New Framework for Implementing Corporate Sustainability
Demutualization is the current trend among stock exchanges all over the world. It is the process of
MN6003 Levis Strauss Case:
Adapted from: Does Levi Strauss still fit
America? by Caroline Fairchild October 6, 2014,
Fortune Magazine and Levi Strauss - The Boss
and the yogi Jul 12th 2014 from the Economist
It used to be the only name in denim. Today the
The Investment Schedule
Firms will undertake any investment project whose expected rate of return, r, exceeds
the real rate of interest, i. If all possible investment projects are considered, then, total
planned investment must be a declining function of
The foreign exchange reserves of China have reached an impressive USD 2.85 trillion in 2012 which
makes the foreign exchange reserves of the country the largest in the world till date. Also, the nation is
the largest international owner of the public debt
Fund of funds
A "fund of funds" (FOF) is an investment strategy of holding a portfolio of other investment
funds rather than investing directly in shares, bonds or other securities. This type of investing is
often referred to as multi-manager investment.
The key message from the above is that the primary purpose of annual reports is accountability,
particularly to shareholders. Given the current complexity of information presented in accordance with
the statutory requirements and the difficulty experience
Almost every U.S. organization, public and private,
must abide by
1964 Civil Rights Act
1972 amendment, the Equal Employment
federal laws regulating employment
State and municipal laws
Training and Developing Employees
Ideally, employees who understand what working is
about in the organization will become fully
HR helps employees become well-adjusted and
productive through socialization, training, and
There are many work motivators, including
desirable work assignments
but the focus in this chapter is pay.
they all help maintain employee commitment
traditionally, career development programs helped
employees advance within the organization
today, each individual must take responsibility for
managing their career
Some helpful career development sites: