The Relationship between the Amount of Reactant and the Amount of Product
This experiment studies the relationship between the amount of reactant and the
amount of product. The following reaction was used:
Besides studying chemistry, what is one other activity you enjoy?_
1. For the following exchange reactions, write the complete molecular equation and the net-ionic equation.
a. An aqueous solution of mercury(I) chloride reacts
Chemistry C103 Fall 2012
C103: Introduction to Chemical Principles
Professor Kimberly Arnold
Chemistry Building A261 (work mostly from home)
Mondays, 10:15 AM 11:45 AM in Chemistry A500
C-103 Exam III Review Problems
27. What is the concentration of LiOH in a solution that has pH 8.04
28. What is the concentration of HI in a solution with pH = 4.86
What is the relationship between the
amount of reactant and the amount
C103 Lab Lecture
a practical example
2 cups flour
cups granulated sugar
cups packed brown sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) butter/margarine
a. A 1.0 L sample of gas is taken from the sea level to Denver, Colorado (temperature and number of
Name _ Date _
Partner Name _ Section _
Results and Analysis
Part I: Safety and Waste Disposal
1. After your AI has presented thorough safety information and basic rules of the laboratory to
you, work with your partner and select 5 rules
Experiment 3: Synthesis and Characterization of Biodiesel
Name _grading rubric_
Part I: Data
Type of Oil _
Synthesis of Biodiesel:
Observations after adding methanol/NaOH mixture (1 point)
Observations after heating for 20 min
The correct answer to each question has been high-lighted. l. - Which of the following compounds is covalent?
a. CaCl; b. MgO d. C328
2. Which one of the following combinations of names
Assignment: Read 5.6 up to sample (238-9)
the following terms: yield, theoretical
yield, actual yield, percentage yield.
2. Based on your reading, give 4 reasons why the
actual yield in a chemical reaction often falls
short of the theoretical yi
b. NaOH(aq)+HClO4(aq) NaClO4(aq)+H2O(l)noprecipi
1. In a laboratory experiment involving the neutralization of vinegar (acetic acid solution) using 0.500 mol/L
b. NaOH(aq)+HClO4(aq) NaClO4(aq)+H2O(l)noprecipitationreaction,butanacidbase
Due: Dec. 3, 2012
Most of our everyday drinks contain dyes in the, these dyes can be harmful in large
amount and some individuals are allergic to them. This makes testing the fluids very important
so as not to harm anyones healt
What is your favorite type of apple?
1. The incandescent white of a fireworks display is caused by the reaction of elemental phosphorous, P4, with oxygen
to give tetraphosphorus decoxide.
a. Write the balanced chemical equation
Alka Seltzer Tablets Lab Results and Discussion
The goal of the Alka Seltzer tablet lab is to determine the percent of NaHCO3 in the Alka
Seltzer tablets. The general procedure involves preparing beakers filled with d
Chemistry Lab 103
Results and Conclusion: Synthesis and Characterization of Aspirin
In experiment seven, aspirin was synthesized from salicylic acid and acetic anhydride.
Salicylic acid + acetic anhydride aspirin acetic acid
Results and Discussion: Amount of Acetic Acid in Vinegar
In experiment 9, How Much Acetic Acid is in Vinegar, a titration was performed to
determine the molar concentration of acetic acid in vinegar. A titration wo
C-103 WEEKLY PRACTICE PROBLEMS
1. Which of these statements are qualitative? Which are quantitative?
(a) Sodium is a silvery-white metal
(b) Aluminum melts at 600 C. _
(c) Carbon makes up about 23% of the human body by mass. _
(d) Pure carbon o
Purpose of the Aspirin lab:
Synthesis and Characterization
C103 lecture part 2
1. Synthesize aspirin.
2. Determine the efficiency of the reaction.
What is your % yield?
3. Determine the purity of the synthesized
Balanced equations obey the law of conservation of
mass (Lavoisier 1789).
C25H52(s) + 38 O2(g)
in candle wax
25 CO2(g) + 26 H2O(g)
Physical states are often