ARCH 250 Exam Four will be on Tuesday, May 10, at 8:00 am in ARC B101. Format
There will be 51 multiple-choice questions on the test including
Pairs of monuments
General questions about the history of architecture and the monuments
1. What type of complex is the Alhambra?
a. How is the open court used in its design? [Lecture]
- Central feature, build around it
2. What is the purpose of having gardens and water here and what do they
represent, symbolically? [Lecture]
- Water provides
ARCH 250 Week Ten Tuesday Images
Texas A&M University | Department of Architecture | Lecture Handouts | Spring 2016 | Nancy Klein | page 1
Week Ten Tuesday Lecture: Late Renaissance in Italy and France
Andrea Palladio, Four Books on A
Architecture of Russia and the Islamic World
1. Why is wood the logical choice for building in Russia?
What are some of the techniques used to select wood and to build churches that ensure a
structure that will last hundreds of years? [Buildings Across
1. What do we mean by Byzantine art and architecture?
- Combines design from the basilica with eastern Mediterranean and
a. Where and when does it begin?
- Begins in 4th century with the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople founded by
Week Five Tuesday Lecture - Byzantine Architecture, Venice, Ukraine, and Russia
Byzantium / Byzantine
Greek cross plan, dome, drum, pendentive, barrel vault
GENERAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
1. What do we mean by Byzantine art and architecture
1. What are the three main parts of a traditional Chinese building? [Lecture]
- Foundation platform of stone or brick
- Timber frame
- Decorative roof (terracotta roof tiles)
2. How do the module (Jian), axial planning, and spatial sequencing guide the
1. Describe the materials and techniques used to build a minka.
- Built of wood with steep thatched roofs, stucco
a. How is the design of this structure, inside and out, suited to its purpose
and the climate of Japan? [Buildings across Time, p. 99.]
Islamic Architecture and the Ottoman Empire
1. Who was Sinan and what did he contribute to the development of Islamic/ Ottoman architecture?
[Buildings Across Time, pp. 164-165.]
- Engineer and Architect
- Served the Sultan of the Ottoman court for 50 yea