Unit 2 Lab 1: Common Linux Commands (NT1430.U2.LA1)
Tuesday, October 08, 2013
2. Which utility can you use to display the absolute pathname of the working directory?
What is the absolute pathname of the working directo
Final exam review
Primary boot, root, swap partition
Edition Linux doesnt support Mac architecture
Working directory pwd
To look into a directory/folder ls
Green font exe file
Black font regular file
Head first 1
NT1430 Linux Networking
Unit 3 Chapter Exercise (NT1430.U3.GA1)
William R. Elliott
Chapter 7 Exercise (1, 3, 4, 8)
1.) What does the shell ordinarily do while a command is executing? What should you do if you
do not want to wait for a command to
NT1430 Unit 4 Homework assignment
1. The system displays the following message when you attempt to log in with an incorrect
username or an incorrect password: A: this message does not indicate whether your username,
your password, o
Unit 1 assignment 1
1. Its free. So no matter what there is no charge for the software. Its free to study it, distribute it
and to modify it.
2. Because its free and can be modified by anyone.
3. They are systems that let multiple users be logged in at th
1. The command you can use is the $ w as well as who, and finger command.
3. Done is overwritten with contents of to_do, to_do no longer exists after the command
4. You can use which and where is to locate the utility and locate to search for fi
Unit 3 Chapter Exercises
1. While the command is executing, the shell waits for the process to finish. The shell works very
fast. You might think you're waiting on it but it's finished. You can give it multiple commands,
and they will execute i
Unit 5 assignment 1
1. SCP is a secure file copy utility and SFTP is a secure file transfer protocol even though it does not
have anything to do with the FTP we are use to in windows.
2. By typing $ ssh host who in the terminal window
3. From t
Unit 1 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 1: Exercies 1, 4
1. What is free software? List three characteristics of free software.
Software that users have the freedom to distribute and change.
a.) source code has to be distributed with the pro
Unit 3 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 7: Exercises 1, 3, 4, 8
1. What does the shell ordinarily do while a command is executing? What
should you do if you do not want to wait for a command to finish before
running another command?
Unit 4 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 14: Exercises 1-5
1. Which commands can you use from the command line to send a file to the
a.) lpr/lp (send job to the printer)
b.) lpr (prints a file)
2. Which command would you give
Unit 5 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 18: Exercises 1-6
1. What is the difference between the scp and sftp utilities?
Scp is how you copy a file remotely.
Sftp is a network protocol that provides file access, file transfer, and file manage
Unit 6 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 13: Exercise 2-4
2. Which command would you give to update all installed packages using yum?
3. Why would you build a package from its source code when a (binary) rpm
file is available?
Unit 7 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 22: Exercises 1-6
1. What are three reasons to use NFS?
a.) remote storage
b.) reduces the workload of administrator
c.) file sharing
2. Which command would you give to mount on the local system the /h
Nt1430 Unit 3
Explore and Discuss
A bash script is a file containing a list of commands to be executed by the bash shell.
Bash scripts have many uses that they can be used for. For example, you could write a
simple bash script that
Unit 1 Lab 1.1 - 1.4 Pt2520
Unit 1 Lab 1.2
Nouns | Major Topics |
Doctors | Each doctor must have their own database for their own patients. |
Patients | Each patient will require a database of information (depression state, eating,
Unit 2 Explore & Discuss
File management and file systems are a core part of the user experience for most users.
They provide many essential and necessary functions for the user as well as almost
anyone else working
Chapter 5 pg. 182 1, 3, 4, 8, 10
1. The who utility.
3. $ cp to_do done- copies the file $ mv to_do done- moves the file
4. Give the command apropos editor. Typical editors are vim, ex, ed, and gedit.
8. The which u
The shell waits for it to finish before it displays a prompt and allows you to continue.
When you put an ampersand(&) at the end of a command line, the shell executes the command
in the backgroun
CUPS which is common UNIX printing system which is a cross-platform for printer
server which was built around IPP which is very useful because you can print on both Linux,
windows, Mac OS X uses CUPS to
1.) $ lp <filename> , $ lpr <filename>
2.) $ lprm , $ cancel
3.) $ lpg , $lpstat
4.) So that Windows based machines can print from a Linux printer.
5.) CUPS protocols are IPP, LPD, or LPR. The native pr
1.) You can setup a script to send a copy of all incoming mail traffic to the
2.) You can setup an aliases line to send a copy of all emails for a specific user to go to their
NT1430 Linux Networking
Unit 8 Explore and Discuss (NT1430.U8.GA2)
Search and explore the ITT Tech Virtual Library on the uses and configurations of firewalls and
how client configurations differ from server firewall configurations.
Unit 8 Chapter Exercises
Chapter 21: Exercises 5-6
5. How does an LDAP directory differ from a relational database system?
Rational database holds information in rows and columns. LDAP directory is a hierarchial data
structure that gr