A Substantive Exercise
3 .1 Which [of the following are true for an exothermic reaction?
9 The enthalpy of the system decreases
AH has a negative sign
c? The enthalpy of the products is higher than that of the reactants
d. Heat is absorbed from the surro
Some Acid Base Problems
1. Label the Bronsted-Lowr~ acid and base on the left side of each of the following equations, also label the
conjugate acid and base.
a. cxiaq, < - > HCN W + NH3 W
A i E cfw_LA $5.5;
b. (cams. H309. < - -> (CH3>3NH+(aq) + 0H1 (m
Equilibrium Problems baggie:
15.17 F or the system
PC15(g) : PC13(g) + C12(g) KC = 0.050 at 250 C.
H030 mol PC15 is placed in a 1.0-L container at this temperature, what are the equilibrium concentrations of all species?
7! 7 9 :i :1) x r "' J . i m m
TITKATION CALCLlATION FUN - YIPPEE New 5 4
1) A sample (50.61 mL ofO.80M HCl is titrated with 0.80 M NaOH.
Determine the pH before the titration begins
r t ~a +. u.
. E = - i '
Determine the pH after 25.0mL of the NaOH has been added.
3)! v; m f
Purpose: To calculate the heat released from a specic reaction with a given amount of reactants.
Reactants: Iron (III) Oxide and Aluminum
1. Write a balanced chemical equation predicting the products. Dont forget phases of matter!
leth 1~ m We
m ' i
113 21 38 48 58
1. How is a Strong Acid different than a Weak Acid? Write an example reaction for each.
E, ,1 7 L ; ._,. , , f i , 1 j
r , =9
other curve WA and SB.
Entropy and Gibb's Free ner-33mg same when. sales
1) dene entropyzm. same
2) Name all of the changes in matter that result in an increase in entropy:
3) What are we describing when we discuss the spontaneity of a chemical reactio
lisp Practice Problems
Key Poin' Solubility is relative l 0 I 0
'lypes of Problems.
1 From Ksp, you can calculate the molar solubility of a substance
2 From Ksp, you can calculate the concentration of one of the dissolved ions. /
3 From m
consumed, how many molecules of water will be co
1; r ,. , ,. ,.
['J tv 7; t- f _
Siobncmetry Worksheet A y *1 -. /
grams cf sodium hydroxide are mixed with 2 liters of 3 M phosphoric acid. 3 N010, 3 ' " ' '
.V i-ir : . 7
O r? A)?" -
z E' 7515
AW (16 Wag/3kg?
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS FOR THE REACTION SHOWN BEEOW
1A + 2B > 3C
Exp Initial Initial initial rate of appearance
# Cone. Cone. of C (M/s or mol/Los)
1) 2 4 4
2) 4 4 8
3) 2 8 16
l) FoirI exp 2, calculate the initial rate of disap