Chapter 46: Key Terms
1. acid-fast stain- A staining procedure for identifying bacteria that have a waxy cell wall.
2. aerobe- Bacteria that grow best in the presence of oxygen.
3. agar-A gelatin-like substance de- rived from seaweed that gives a culture
1. calibration syringe- A standardized measuring instrument used to check and adjust the
volume indicator on a spirometer.
2. cardiac cycle -The sequence of contraction and relaxation that makes up a complete
3. deflection -A peak or valley on
Chapter 48:Key terms
1. Anticoagulants-Substances that prevent clotting.
2. automatic puncturing
3. devices- A type of lancet that is spring loaded, is self- contained, and has a mechanically
con- trolled skin puncture depth.
4. buffy coat-The layer betwe
1. Anuria-The absence of urine production.
2. Cast-Cylinder-shaped elements with flat or rounded ends, differing in composi- tion and
size, that form when protein from the breakdown of cells accumulates and precipitates
in the kidney tubules and is washed