Take Home Quiz 9
1. What was the tectonic significance of the Tethys ocean basin?
1. The Tethys ocean basin is the ocean basin that subducted into the Asia continental
plate. This allowed the India continental plate to collide with the Asia
Take Home Quiz 6
1. Even though they formed long ago from the subduction of an ocean basin followed by a
continental collision, the Appalachians play a key role in the geomorphology of North
America's modern passive margin. First, what name
In his article Group launches second effort to stop Michigan wolf hunting, James
Lynch discusses the Keep Michigan Wolves Protected groups effort to repeal the recent
legislation that allows wolf hunting. This legis
1. Briefly describe the connection between mantle plumes and hotspots?
Mantle plumes are the hypothesized reason for hotspots. They create them in theory.
Why are just about all Hawaiian volcanic rocks basaltic, whereas in the Yellows
Take Home Quiz 7
Why are turbidite sequences found in Olympic NP? Your answer should define what they are
and explain how they form.
Turbidite sequences are layers of rock formed in sub-marine landslides off of the
Take Home Quiz 8
1. What tectonic process produced the Sierra Nevada Batholiths, and is it still active today?
Additionally, what plates were involved? (Yes, this question was on the previous THQ, but please
answer it again.)
1. The Sierra
July 14, 2013
Using the two-component naming criteria we've discussed to classify most igneous rocks,
compare and contrast granite and basalt. Your response must correctly utilize the compositional
terms mafic and felsic.
Volcanoes and Gravity
My group had the Volcanoes and Volcanic Activity map. When we looked at the key we
saw that there are multiple different kinds of volcanoes, some of which have been dormant for
years while those with big stars have been very active i
1. What is the relationship between the Neenach volcano and Pinnacles NP?
The Neenach volcano formed the Pinnacles NP 23 million years ago.
What is volcanic breccia, and why are such rocks found in Pinnacle NP? Briefly speculate about
The Lighthouse Reef is a coral reef about 60 miles from Belize. Lighthouse Reef is actually an
atoll or a ring shaped coral reef that includes a coral rim encircling a lagoon. It is a beautiful
tourist attraction especially for divers because of its amazi
1. Compare and contrast the compositional differences between earth's crust and mantle.
You may do this in broad terms (i.e., just focus on the most abundant elements, as we'll do in
class). Similarly, compare and contrast continental vs oceanic crust in
1. What's the difference between faults and joints? Briefly describe a geological process capable of
1. Joints are any kind of fractures (or breaks) in rock while faults are continuing movement along
a fracture in
Take Home Quiz 1
1. The word tectonics is based on the Greek word tekton.
a. What is the literal translation of the word into English?
a.i. The literal translation is that the Greek word tekton means builder.
b. Briefly explain why the orig