Origin and Evolution of Life
II. ORIGIN & EVOLUTION OF LIFE
A. Chronology of Life
B. How did this diversity happen? SLIDE Contemporary belief is that:
1. Earth changed and so did life forms (selection)
2. Over time, life became more complex
Evolution and Diversity Questions
1) Chimps share a common ancestor with monkeys who share a common ancestor with reptiles
who share a common ancestor with amphibians. These relationships best exemplify the theory of
d) branching descent with modification
16. Genes are located:
a. in the cytoplasm.
b. in histones.
c. on the ribosomes.
d. in the nucleus.
e. in cell membranes.
17. The main point of meiotic cell division is to:
a. produce diploid cells.
b. produce gametes (eggs and sperm).
Agriculture Science Questions
1) Science is:
c) a way of exploring the natural world
2) A scientific hypothesis may be best defined as:
a) a testable statement about the observable universe
3) Which of the following is a valid, scientific hypothesis?
What is evolution?
-Process by which the diversity of life on earth developed over time from common
Selection: best genes survive
Branching descent: Selection m LEAD TO NEW species
33. Blue-green algae changed the earths atmosphere from almost all CO2 to 21% O2
about 2 billion years ago through photosynthesis. This supports:
a. scientific data indicating the earth is 4.5 billion years old.
b. the assertion that earths atmo