My research question is: how do students at West Liberty University balance their school,
work, and social lives?
I would gather my data through surveys. Surveys relay attitudes and behaviors. The
questions would have to be carefully thought
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 16:
1) Were you surprised when Tariq returned? (2) Had you suspected the depth of Rasheed's
I was surprised when I learned that Tariq was still alive. I honestly had not suspected
Chapter 7 Key Terms:
1. Assortative Mating: Marriage between two people who are similar on one or more
2. Heterogamy: Marriage between two people who are dissimilar.
3. Homogamy: A form of assortative mating: marriage between two people w
Chapter 9 Key Terms:
1. Communication: The use of language, words, or gestures to create shared meaning
between two or more people.
2. Decode: To interpret the words of someone so that you understand what their ideas and
3. Encode: To put id
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 17:
The phrase a thousand splendid suns, from the poem by Saib-e-Tabrizi, is quoted twice
in the novel once as Lailas family prepares to leave Kabul, and again when she decides to
return there from Pakistan. It
Discussion Question 6:
Do you believe in, or have you experienced "Love at first sight"? (2) Have you ever found "True Love"?
Also, (3) give your opinion and discuss Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850:
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
A Thousand Splendid Suns; Question 8:
Lailas friendship with Mariam begins when she defends Mariam from a beating by Rasheed. Why does
Laila take this action, despite the contempt Mariam has consistently shown her?
Laila was raised in more of a modern wor
Chapter 6 Key Terms:
1. Agape: Selfless love; to do something for the well-being of someone else, even if
you dont necessarily like them.
2. Anxious/Ambivalent Attachment Style: An interpersonal or relational style
characterized by hesitancy in forming de
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 4
(1) Is Jalil's refusal to see his daughter when she comes to Herat prudent? (2) Could he have been
thinking of her welfare by arranging her marriage to Rasheed?
I do not feel as though his actions were pruden
Thinking about all you have read and learned about "Marriage and Family Relations", Answer the
following Question: What do you believe to be the likely future of marriage in United States? (NO LESS
THAN THREE PARAGRAPHS!)
Before taking this class and read
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 14:
When the Taliban first enter the city, Laila does not believe women will tolerate being forced out of jobs
and treated with such indignity. (1) Why do the educated women of Kabul endure such treatment? (2)
Chapter 15 Key Terms:
1. Family Boundary: A set of rules or boundaries that a family has saying who is a
member of the family and how much each family member can participate; more likely to
happen in stepfamilies.
2. Loyal Conflict: A conflict that happen
A Thousand Splendid Suns; Discussion Question 9:
At several points in the story, Mariam and Laila pass themselves off as mother and daughter. (1) What is
the symbolic importance of this subterfuge? (2) In what ways is Mariams and Lailas relationship with
Chapter 10 Vocab/Key Terms:
Accommodation: To neglect your own interests to pursue someone elses interests.
Avoidance: Minimum concern of your own interests or those of others.
Coercive Power: Ability to influence someone with the threat of
Growing up, Laila feels that her mothers love is reserved for her two brothers. People, she decides,
shouldnt be allowed to have new children if theyd already given away all their love to their old ones. (1)
How does this sentiment inform Lailas reaction
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 6
1) What is the significance of Laila's childhood trip to see the giant stone Buddhas above the
Bamiyan Valley? (2) Why did her father take her on this trip? (3) How did his influence shape the
way Laila would
Chapter 16 Key Terms:
1. Adolescence: The time in a childs life between puberty and adulthood. This is when they
mature from a child to an adult.
2. Fusion: Being too dependent upon someone else so much so that you are unable to make
your own decisions or
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 5
What is your take on Mullah Faizullah explanation of Nana's behavior? (2) Is Nana a sympathetic
Mullah said that Nana was unhappy and troubled even as a little girl, her death had nothing to do
Chapter 12 Key Terms:
1. Artificial Insemination: To inject sperm into a womans egg without having sex. The
sperm usually comes from sperm banks and the donor does not know who has used his
sperm. Women use this if they are single and wish to have a child
What did "A Thousand Splendid Suns" teach you about the history of Afghanistan? (2) What
It taught me that before war, Afghanistan was a beautiful country and that it was not as cruel of a
place to live as it is now. Once the war
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Questions 17&18:
The phrase a thousand splendid suns, from the poem by Saib-e-Tabrizi, is quoted twice in the
novel once as Lailas family prepares to leave Kabul, and again when she decides to return
there from Pakistan
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Discussion Question 7:
By the time Laila is rescued from the rubble of her home by Rasheed and Mariam, Mariams marriage has
become a miserable existence of neglect and abuse. Yet when she realizes that Rasheed intends to
Discussion Question 9:
(1) Go to: http:/www.drphil.com/page/rct/
(2) Complete the questionnaire and discuss the implications of, AND possible solutions to the questions
you answered as being "True".
(Do not include in your submission those questions in
A Thousand Splendid Suns Discussion Question 15:
The driver who takes Babi, Laila, and Tariq to the giant stone Buddhas above the Bamiyan Valley
describes the crumbling fortress of Shahr-e-Zohak as the story of our country, one invader after
Discussion Question 12:
Review/reread the gray box entitled "What do you Think?" (about spanking) at the top of page 268 of our
textbook. Comment on it, AND discuss.
I think that spanking is okay if it is open handed and across their bottoms, nowhere else
Discussion Question 7:
Go to and read: http:/www.theatlantic.com/doc/200803/single-marry (watch the video as well)
(1) Do you personally agree or disagree with the author's main points, and final conclusion. (2) Explain
why or why not, and discuss.
I do a
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Discussion Question 13:
One of the Taliban judges at Mariams trial tells her, God has made us different, you women and us men.
Our brains are different. You are not able to think like we can. Western doctors and their science hav
Chapter 8 Key Terms:
1. Commitment: Promising yourself to only one person in a relationship.
2. Egalitarian Marriage: A marriage where both the husband and wife are employed and
both have an equal say in their marriage.
3. Institution: Collective, regular
According to our textbook: ".some singles-whether never-married, divorced, or
widowed-prefer their lifestyle and find it satisfying, overall, singles are less likely than
the married to perceive themselves a being very happy". (1) Do you agree or disagree
Chapter 14 Key Terms:
1. Covenant Marriage: An agreement between two people that they enter before marriage
stating that they will only seek divorce if the marriage is an abusive one or one of
2. Divorce Rate: The number of divorces between marr