CHAPTER 9 Review Assignment
1. Broadly defined, quality is: The ability of a product or service to consistently meet or
exceed customer expectations
2. How does the modern strategic approach to quality management differ from the former,
STUDY OUTLINE FOR CHAPTER 6
PROCESS SELECTION AND FACILITY LAYOUT
1. What three primary questions bear on process selection?
1) How much variety in products or service will the system need to handle?
2) What degree of equipment flexibility will be needed?
Taking stock Chapter 2
1. Who needs to be involved in formulating organizational strategy?
-The managers need to be involved in formulating organizational strategy.
2. Name some of the competitive trade-offs that might arise in a fast-food restaurant.
STUDY OUTLINE FOR CHAPTER 3
1. List some examples of how each of these areas of an organization use forecasts:
Accounting: new product cost estimates, profit projections, cash management
Finance: equipment and equipment replacement needs, timi
Taking stock Chapter 4
1. Describe some of the trade-offs that are encountered in product and service design.
I believe that one of the most encountering trade-offs in product and service design is
balancing the needs of different types of
CHAPTER 7 Review Assignment
1. What is job design?
The act of specifying the contents and methods of jobs
2. What is ergonomics and why is it important in product and service design?
Ergonomics are the scientific discipline concerned with the understandin
Chapter 13 Review Assignment
1. Explain why inventory management is a core operations management activity.
Inventories are necessary for a firm to operate efficiently and almost all business transactions
involve the delivery of a product or service in exc
Chapter 11 Review Assignment
1. What is aggregate planning?
Intermediate-range capacity planning that typically covers a time horizon of 2 to 18
2. What is the purpose of aggregate planning?
Achieve a production plan that will effectively utilize t
STUDY OUTLINE FOR CHAPTER 2
COMPETITIVENESS, STRATEGY, AND PRODUCTIVITY
1. Name ten ways that the operations function influences the competitiveness of an
Product and service design
7) Inventory management
Chapter 10 Problem 3
A2 = 0.18
=3.10 Mean Chart: +- A2= 3.1+-0.18 (0.45)
Hence, UCL is 3.181 and LCL is 3.019. All means are within these limits.
Range Chart: UCL is D4 = 1.59(0.45) = 0.7155
LCL is D3 = 0.41(0.45)
Chapter 8 Review assignment
1. What are the primary reasons for the importance of location decisions in production system
1) Decide on the criteria
2) Identify the important factors
3) Develop location alternatives
4) Evaluate the alternatives
Chapter 3 Problem 2
a) Plot a monthly data on a sheet of paper
b) Forecast September sales volume using each of the following:
T (or x)
Square of t
Sum of square= 140
Chapter 3 Problem 25
a. Plot the data and a regression line on the same graph
sumX = 92.75
sumY = 1982
sumX = 729.0625
sumXY = 15081.5
gradient m = (n*sumXY - sumX*sumY) / (n*sumX - (sumX) = -2852.5 / 146.1875 =
mean X = sumX / n = 7.729166
STUDY OUTLINE FOR CHAPTER 4
PRODUCT & SERVICE DESIGN
1. Why is product or service design strategically important?
It is important for the success and prosperity of an organization. It has an impact on future
activities, consequently decisions in this area
Chapter 4s Problem 5
a. What is the reliability of the computer?
Since all three modules must function for the computer to function properly, the reliability of the
computer is the product of the reliabilities of three modules:
Chapter 4- Problem 1
a. VCR players versus DVD players
A VCR relies on analog magnetic video cassette tapes, which is entirely different than the digital
disc-based technology used in DVDs. The tapes in VCRs usually provide lower image qual
Chapter 5 Problem 3
a. Find the break-even quantity if pens sell for $1 each
Break-even quantity= FC / (SP-VC)
Break-even quantity= 39683 units
b. At what price must pens be sold to obtain a monthly profit of $15,000,
Chapter 5 Review Assignment
1. How is capacity defined?
The upper limit or ceiling on the load that an operating unit can handle
2. What are the three basic questions in capacity planning?
1) What kind of capacity is needed?
2) How much capacity is needed
Chapter 5s Problem 2
a. Determine the expected profit of each alternative. Which alternative is best?
The Expand alternative (62) is the best because it is greater (best payoff) than the Do
nothing alternative (57) and the Subcontract
Chapter 6 - Problem 2
Desired output = 33.33 units per hour
Operating time = 60 minutes per hour
CT = Operating time/ Desired output=
60 minutes per hr. / 33.33 units per hr.
minutes per unit
CHAPTER 10 Review Assignment
1. What approach to quality do the least progressive companies use?
The least progressive companies rely on inspection.
2. What approach do the most progressive companies use?
The most progressive companies rely on quality tha