Chapter 4 Ancient Greece Section 1 Early People of the Aegean.
Minoans Trade and Prosper
a. The success of the Minoans was based on trade.
b. Minoans were good at a lot of arts like painting and drawing.
c. Archaeologists believe that the Minoans civil
1. How did the Battle of Saratoga mark a turning point in the American Revolution? It convince
France to join the American side, then convinced the Netherlands and Spain to add their support.
2. American leaders gathered in Philadelphia in 1787 to revise
If Britain had loosened its policies toward the colonies, do you think the American Revolution could have
been avoided? Explain your reasoning.
Yes if England did loosen their policies, they would of voided an American Revolution. The America
1. Physiocrats supported a government economic policy of Laissez Faire.
2. What was/were the reason/s Enlightenment writers often faced censorship?
They challenged the old order
3. An enlightened despot was a ruler who pursued what kind of policies/reform
Chapter 10 Section 1
I. Muhammad Become a Prophet
Muhammad was born in the oasis town of Mecca around A.D. 570.
Mecca was a bustling market town.
Kaaba was an ancient temple that housed statues of pagan gods and goddesses.
Chapter 9 Section 1 outline
I. Constantine creates a New Rome
a. Constantine rebuilt the Greek city of Byzantium and then renamed it after himselfConstantinople.
b. The eastern Roman Empire became known as the Byzantine Empire.
II. Byzantium Flourishes Un
Chapter 5 Section 2
I. Rome Grows Through Conquest
A. In the First Punic War, Rome defeated Carthage and won the islands of Sicily, Corsica, and
B. 218B.C., the Carthaginian general Hannibal led his army, including dozens of war elephants,
Chapter 5 Section 1 Outline
Roman Civilization Arises in Italy
A. Italy had broad, fertile plains in the north and the west. These plains supported growing
B. By about 800 B.C., the ancestors of the Romans, called the Latins, migrated into
Chapter 5 Section 2
I. Rome Grows Through Conquest
A. In the First Punic War, Rome defeated Carthage and won the islands of
Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia.
B. 218B.C., the Carthaginian general Hannibal led his army, including
dozens of war elephants, on an
How Did Slavery Get Started
I. In the Beginning:
A. Previous to 3000 BCE the development of City-States or
Kingdoms were mostly agricultural.
1. Women were first to become slaves, because they were easier to
a. Children were sold into slavery nex
I. Administration of Ulysses S. Grant, 1869-1877
A. At the Republican National Convention in Chicago May 1868,
Grant was an easy choice for the Republicans for President
with not opposition.
1. In the 1868 election with the new black vote from the South,
I. Democratic Party:
A. First Political Party to mold and organize the democratizing
impulse in popular culture in the U.S.
1. Andrew Jackson's organizers tapped hopes and fears of ordinary
Americans and built first mass-based party.
Reconstruction in the South 1867-77
I. The decade of Reconstruction in the South was a period of great change,
because of the confusion and bitterness prevailed, it has been called a
A. Establishment of the Reconstruction Governments:
I. The Andrew Jackson Administration, 1829-1837
A. Domestic Policy
1. When Congress passed in 1829 a bill to extend the National Road from
Maysville to Lexington, Jackson vetoed it saying that he opposed
spending federal funds for local public works.
I. The Administration of Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865
A. The Election of 1860
1. Abraham Lincoln entered the presidential nomination process as a
distinct underdog, he was chosen as the Republican candidate
for several reasons:
a. He expressed views on slave
I. Election of 1840
A. William Henry Harrison
1. Probably anyone running for President in 1840 could have beaten
a. With a collapsed economy of the US, any alternative
1.) If Henry Clay had realized this, he would
I. Administration of Andrew Johnson 1865-1869
A. Andrew Johnson becomes 17th President of the US.
1. Abraham Lincolns assassination by a cell of Southern Agents, who
wanted to kidnap Lincoln in hopes of getting better terms for the
South, but at the last
II. Changes in the US by 1860
A. New States added:
1. In 1846 Iowa and Florida had become a states.
2. In 1848 Wisconsin was added to the Union.
3. After the compromise of 1850, California became a state.
4. By 1861, Minnesota, Oregon and Kansas had been
I. John Quincy Adams Administration
A. Election of 1824 Brings Sectionalism to Surface Again.
1. Sectionalism affected national politics in 1824 and the appearance of
rival candidates within the Democratic-Republican Party marked
end of the Era of Goo
CHAPTER 4 NOTES
The Civilization of the Greeks
A. In 431 B.C.E. Athens and Sparta fought for domination of the Greek World
B. Pericles spoke to the people about democracy during the public funeral
C. Greeks asked basic questions about
CHAPTER 5 NOTES
Introduction: The Han and Roman Empires flourished in the beginning of the 1 st millennium
CE. They were the largest political entities the world had ever seen
A. The Han Empire
1. Extended from Central Asia to the Pacific Ocean