Quiz 5. February 19, 2013. Name: Solution Key
(1) Solve ln(x + 4) + ln(x + 3) = ln 24 ln 2 for x.
Solution. We will rst consider the left hand side of the equation:
ln(x + 4) + ln(x + 3) = ln(x + 4)(x + 3) = ln(x2 + 7x + 12).
The right hand side of the eq
Quiz 4. February 12, 2013. Name: Solution Key
(1) A space satellite has been placed in circular orbit around an asteroid to study it. The radius of its
orbit is 10 kilometers and its period is 25 hours. Compute the mass of the asteroid in kilograms.
Quiz 3. February 5, 2013. Name: Solution Key
(1) A particle P of mass m is in orbit around a xed point S . The only force acting on P is a centripetal
force in the direction of S . Let be Keplers constant for the orbit. Let the particle be in a
Quiz 2. January 29, 2012. Name: Solution Key
(1) Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the graph of f (x) = x with 4 x 9 one
complete revolution about the x-axis.
Solution. First, recall that the volume of an the solid obtained by rotating a g
Quiz 1. January 24, 2012. Name: Solution Key
(1) Describe (in mathematical notation) the process that provides the meaning of the denite integral
f (x)dx, where y = f (x) is a function over an integral a x b (by interpreting it as a sum of
MATH 10460 EXAM 1 STUDY GUIDE
(1) Newtons Mechanics (see Ch. 7)
Be familiar with the mechanics of planetary motion. In particular, practice the analysis
of bodies in elliptical orbits, as we did on the quizzes. Know Keplers Laws of Planetary
Motion and be