1. The major factor that pushed Irish immigrants to the United States in the 1840s and
1850s was the the great potato famine.
2. Why was slavery a point of conflict between the Mexican government and AngloAmerican settlers in Texas? Mexico outlawed slaver
Study Question 1
Why did the Jamestown colony come into existence? Who were the individuals on this
venture and what were they seeking?
The Jamestown colony was the first permanent English colony established in 1607. To
fully explain the m
Study Question 6
Answer the following questions from the lecture:
1. Who was the key author of the Articles of Confederation?
2. What were the powers granted to the Congress, and more notably, which powers did they
Study Question 2
What do the two initial English colonization efforts represent? That is, Jamestown and
Plymouth have come to represent key ideas in our government and culture. What are
What these two colonization efforts repr
Make a list of the features of the new state constitutions. What is significant about the
fact that our "Founding Fathers" and members of the Continental Congress went home to
draft new state Constitutions?
List the elements (Pre-Amble and original articles) in order. Please read them all carefully.
Pre-Amble: The pre-amble served as an intro to the document. It also explains the
purpose and what is contained in the following w
What are the distinct powers of each of the Houses/chambers of Congress? What powers
do they share?
House of Representatives
Specific role is if you want a bill on revenue or spending it must originate in the house.
What are the job qualifications for members of the House of Representative and the
House of Representatives
Terms only last 2 years.
Must be at least 25 years old.
Must be a citizen for 7 years.
Must be a resident of
List the "characteristics" of the Constitution we discussed in the lecture.
Document of compromise In other words whatever it took to get ratified.
Idea of the separation of powers.
+Each branch has its own powers
Study Question 3
How did the French and Indian War Change the relationship between the Colonies and England?
The name French and Indian war to some extent does not make sense. This war in reality was a
war between France and England on wha
Study Guide Chapter 15
1. What is one of the major facts about African American soldiers during the Civil War?
many African-American soldiers were put into non-combat roles such as
cooks and laborers
2. What did the Sanitary Commission pr
The leader of the 1831 slave uprising in Southampton County, Virginia, was Nat Turner.
The majority of slaves worked as field workers.
The typical runaway slave was a y
1. What was the Second Great Awakening?
2. Lyman Beecher was most closely associated with what reform movements? temperance
3. What was considered the "proper" sphere for middle-class white women in the nineteenth
century? home and family
4. The Cult of D
1. What did the court rule in the Dred Scott v. Sanford decision? Thedecision, which
declared that slaves were not citizens and that the Missouri Compromise was
2. The most outrageous component of the Compromise of 1850 was the enactment
Study Questions 4
Describe the differences between mercantilism and imperialism
The difference between mercantilism and imperialism is that Mercantilism refers to the positive
outcomes that come from trading. On the other hand Imperialism