1. Differentiate between catabolic and anabolic reactions. (1 point)
a. Catabolism: the chemical breakdown of complex compounds into simpler units to be
used in cell metabolism
b. Anabolism: the energy-consuming process of incorporating nutrients into pro
1. List two way microbes can help and two ways in which they can help our world. Microbes play
defense, they protect us from pathogens simply by taking up space. Microbes boost the immune
2. List the characteristics of the 7 groups of mi
1. Why did the students incubate the plates at two different temperatures? How did this affect the
growth of the microorganisms on the plates? The plates incubated at 37 degrees C were inoculated with
organisms isolated from the body that would be expecte
Chapter 11 (25 points)
1. What are the three domain of prokaryotes? (3 points)
2. Describe gram positive and gram negative bacteria. How are the different? (3 points)
3. Describe and differentiate alphaproteobacteria, betaproteobacteria, gammaproteobacter
1. What is genetics? What is a gene? DNA? RNA? (2 points)
a. Genetics: The science of hereditary.
b. Gene: a unit of heredity that is transferred from a parent to offspring and is held to
determine some characteristic of the offspring.
c. DNA: a molecule
1. What words can use to describe bacteria growth? Size (punctiform, small, medium, large,
circular, irregular, filamentous, rhizoid) , shape, color, texture, height, edge.
2. What are two ways you can grow and anaerobic bacteria? Different oxygen environ