Therapeutic somatic cell cloning and reproductive cloning:
a) You take some cell, remove the cell DNA and put in the DNA you want, grow it up and
either keep those cell in the freezer as stem cell for therapeut
SCIENCE AS A WAY OF KNOWING
EX: DNA hypotheses: Crick and Watson hypothesized that DNA was helical.
Reasoning from general principles of chemistry and what was known about helical
structure of proteins, the
BIO 200 Final Exam: December 8, 2014
Summary of the Course:
The world is 4.6 billion years old
3.5 billion years ago bacteria and prokaryotic cells came into being
2.5 billion years ago eukaryotic cells came into being
2 billion years ago multicellulari
BIO 200 Exam 2 Review
MAY THE CURVE BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR
Evidence from Genetics Mendel
Mendel pea experiments
Blending inheritance NO
Particulate inheritance YES
3:1 phenotype ratio for monohybrid cross
9:3:3:1 phenotype ratio for dihybrid cross
1. El Nino years and La Nina years:
o La Nina:
1977, there was a extreme drought due to La Nina that led to extreme
mortality on the Finches on the island.
Surviving plants during the drought had very tough seeds with
Typically ignored by t
1) "Invisible hand": (Adam Smith)
o Though the Free Market may look chaotic, it is actually guided to produce the
right amount, and right variety of goods and service because of the "Invisible
Smith believed that Human motives were oft
a) Writes his theory that all organism came from common ancestors.
b.i) That they had common descent.
2) Carolus Linnaeus:
a) Proposed a classification scheme for life on Earth.
b.i) Member of group of Naturalist who sought to und
a) The coat that goes on vesicles to keep them between the trans-golgi and the plasma
a.i) Not unique to Lysosome, but big one for us, vesicles brought in by endocytosis can be
clathrin coated as well
2) COPI (Retrograde)
History of the Theory of Evolution and Mr. Darwin.
1. Supernatural vs scientific explanations for creation.
2. History of evolutionary thought.
3. Introducing Mr. Darwin.
4. Darwin's followers.
1. Features of a divinely inspired creati
1. Impact of extinction on theories of creation:
o At the time Cuvier present his paper.
o The extinction on theories of creation proves that God's creation is wrong.
God can't be wrong, therefore extinction can't happen but it does happen.
1. Age of Retiles: Mesozoic Era, room from pervious extinction allowed reptiles to flourish.
o Just before the raise of dinosaurs (230MYA)
3. 1st Mammals: During mesozoic, 200MYA. the very first mammal arise.
o Ex. Morganucodon Watsoni (205MYA).
1. The formation of the Earth.
2. What happens next: Four eras.
3. A brief tour through the history of time (on Earth)
o Earth formed 4.57 billion years ago as part of our solar system.
Birth of our solar system came after birth of our u
1. Darwin's hypothesis of natural selection.
2. Evidence for Darwin's hypothesis from his life time.
3. Modern Evidence.
4. Implications of Darwin's hypothesis.
5. Evidence to support te implications.
1. Three factors
This exam is worth 50 points Evolutionary Biology
in the whole course
Exam I, 2016
You may take this part
of the exam with you
A. Multiple Choice Questions. Choose the best possible answer. Use the bubble sheet. (1 pt.
1. An evolutionary tree is a