146. Comment on the accuracy of the following statement: Self-fulfilling prophecy can be an
effective management practice.
147. Several junior investment analysts recently hired by a major firm have been placed under
the guidance of senior investment anal
140. Which of these statements about organizational learning is FALSE?
A. It is heavily dependent on individual learning.
B. It requires sharing of knowledge.
C. It includes the process of knowledge acquisition.
D. It needs organizational values that supp
124. Which of the following is an example of punishment?
A. The organization takes away some of your paycheck to cover the cost of a machine that you
B. Your boss doesn't say anything after you have the highest sales of the month.
112. In the Johari Window, feedback from others helps us to:
A. increase our open area by reducing our blind area.
B. increase our unknown area by reducing our hidden area.
C. decrease our open area by increasing our amount of disclosure.
D. increase our
132. ABC Corp. pays its employees a fixed salary in a paycheck received every Friday
afternoon. This is an example of which reinforcement schedule?
B. Fixed interval
C. Fixed ratio
D. Variable ratio
E. None; pay checks do not reinforce any b
24. Stereotyping is partly responsible for prejudice and discrimination.
25. One problem with stereotyping is that few traits assigned to a particular social category
accurately describe every person identified with that group.
80. The process of assigning traits to people based on their membership in a social category
A. recency effect.
B. halo effect.
C. projection bias.
81. Andr is a doctor who is quick to mention that he is a doctor wh
104. A perceptual error in which we tend to believe that other people hold the same beliefs and
attitudes that we do refers to:
A. self-serving bias.
B. recency effect.
C. false-consensus effect.
D. self-fulfilling prophecy.
E. personal identity.
128. In behavior modification, extinction occurs when:
A. employees are forced to leave the organization.
B. a behavior decreases in frequency because it is punished more than reinforced.
C. employees receive reinforcement less often now than in the past.
100. The statement "First impressions are lasting impressions" best represents the premises of:
A. primacy effect.
B. self-fulfilling prophecy.
C. projection bias.
D. recency effect.
101. If you form a general negative impression of a per
68. Organizational learning is not dependent on individual learning since it mostly involves the
organization managing its own knowledge-based assets.
Multiple Choice Questions
69. According to the perceptual process model, what happens immedia
96. When could the self-fulfilling prophecy improve organizational effectiveness?
A. Never; self-fulfilling prophecy is a perceptual bias that always makes organizations less
B. Whenever and wherever it exists in organizational settings.
76. Mental models are _ that guide perceptions and behavior.
B. forms of punishment
C. self-fulfilling prophecies
D. broad world views
E. action learning practices
77. Mental models cause us to:
A. perceive events as though people are actin
9. (p. 70) Categorical thinking is mostly a conscious process of deciding what information in the
environment to notice.
10. (p. 70) Seeing a trend in a sequence of sales figures involves the process of cate
23. (p. 72) Stereotyping is a natural process that helps us to economize mental effort.
24. (p. 73) Stereotyping is partly responsible for prejudice and discrimination.
28. (p. 75) Attribution theory mainly explains the selective attention process.
29. (p. 75) People who believe that their successful completion of a project is due to their skill and
hard work are making
32. (p. 75) When making an internal or external attribution about a person's behavior, we tend to
look at whether the person has acted this way in the past and other situations and whether other
people act similarly in this situation.
36. (p. 76) Self-serving bias is the tendency to take credit for our successes and blame others or
the situation for our mistakes.
37. (p. 76) Self-fulfilling prophecy occurs whenever supervisors accurately pre
8-25 course overview
Who handles add/drop and exam make-ups?Ms.BethBellmancoursecoordinator
What was Eeans character in The Paper Brigade?
Correlation between missed classes and final points. Rate=.41
Definition of management Gettingworkdonethroug
16. A person's social identity is a complex combination of his or her memberships in many
17. Social identity is a comparative process, and that comparison begins with categorical
18. Social identity theory states t
18. (p. 71-72) Social identity theory states that we define ourselves in terms of our differences with
people who belong to other social categories.
19. (p. 72) Homogenization and differentiation are two activi
13. (p. 72) Social identity theory explains why we see unique characteristics in everyone else but
not in ourselves.
14. (p. 72) Social identity theory explains the dynamics of social perception.
84. Which of the following perceptual activities involves making inferences about the causes of
a person's actions?
C. Projection bias
D. Selective attention
E. Self-fulfilling prophecy
85. Which of the following statements
60. Tacit knowledge is best learned through formal classroom instruction.
61. Tacit knowledge is mainly learned through observation and experience.
62. Behavior modification emphasizes human thoughts rather than the environment as th
72. _ is the process of filtering information received by our senses.
A. Personal identity
B. Social learning
E. Selective attention
73. Our likelihood of noticing a person or object depends on its:
52. The four areas of the Johari Window are open, closed, internal and external.
53. According to the Johari Window, the hidden area is reduced through disclosure.
54. The only way to know whether an employee has learned something is
8. Grouping people and objects into recognizable patterns is part of the selective attention
9. Categorical thinking is mostly a conscious process of deciding what information in the
environment to notice.
10. Seeing a trend
38. Self-fulfilling prophecy may result in either better or worse performance than if the
employee is not exposed to the self-fulfilling prophecy effect.
39. The first step in a self-fulfilling prophecy occurs when the observer acts differently
31. You are more likely to make an internal attribution about someone's poor performance if
you have also observed the person performing that task poorly in the past and have observed
other employees performing the task well.
32. When making an
45. The halo effect occurs when one characteristic of a person shapes our general impression of
that person which, in turn, biases our perceptions about the other characteristics of that person.
46. According to the halo effect, a supervisor's