128.Procter & Gamble introduced Old Spice High Endurance antiperspirant, targeted to teen-aged boys who
don't watch much TV. P&G did grassroots marketing including handing out samples at skateboarding
events and sponsoring a contest for high-school footba
114.A restaurant review published in the local newspaper is an example of _.
A. public relations
D. direct marketing
E. personal selling
115.Which of the following is an inherent strength of publicity?
A. can receive immediate
20. Integrated marketing communications is the concept of designing marketing communications programs
that coordinate all promotional activitiesadvertising, personal selling, sales promotion, public relations,
and direct marketingto provide _.
134.Which of the following is an inherent weakness of direct marketing?
A. high absolute costs
B. declining customer response
C. messages may differ between salespeople
D. difficult to get media cooperation
E. easily duplicated and can easily lead to prom
121.A short-term inducement of value offered to arouse interest in buying a product or service is referred to as
A. customer incentive
B. customer enticement
C. free publicity
D. sales promotion
E. purchase incentive
122.Sales promotion refers to
33. In a marketing context, a message refers to
A. product information regarding, benefits, price, and usage found on a product's package.
B. the slogan or tagline of a specific product.
C. proprietary information linking a specific product to a promotion
75. In the communication process, noise refers to
A. any unsolicited response from consumers or potential consumers regarding a company's message.
Bthe impact, either positive or negative, that occurs when one consumer interprets a firm's message
47. When Procter & Gamble bought the Old Spice brand in 1990, it planned to transform the old, stagnating
brand into a men's "personal-care powerhouse." The ads that P&G developed shed the older-man image
and now appeal to the 18 to 34 age group. In terms
Here the cash inflows of the project go on forever, which is a perpetuity. Unlike ordinary
perpetuity cash flows, the cash flows here grow at a constant rate forever, which is a growing
perpetuity. The PV of the future cash flows from the project i
69. In the feedback loop, the impact the message has on the receiver's knowledge, attitude, or behaviors
during the communications process is referred to as _.
C. field of experience
E. hierarchy of effects
70. In a feedba
81. In a promotional sense, customized interaction refers to
A. the creation of unique products based upon the needs and wants of individual consumers.
B. the translation of a company's message into multiple languages for use in advertising in different
88. Which of the following statements about advertising is most accurate?
A. Advertisers have limited control as to when and where their advertisements will be placed.
B. A key advantage of advertising is its ability to use customized interaction.
95. Personal selling refers to
A a seller-directed flow of communications, often in a face-to-face encounter, designed to promote a
. product with the purpose of making a sale.
B an individualized communications program specifically designed for a single
101.Companies vary as to the amount of security they require or can afford to access their computer files.
A company that sells a complete line of firewalls from a no-frills version to one that uses retinal scans
would most likely employ which promotional
108.A form of communication management that seeks to influence the feelings, opinions, or beliefs held by
customers, prospective customers, stockholders, suppliers, employees, and other publics about a company
and its products or services is referred to a
40. L'Oreal created an advertisement for its Visible Lift makeup. Glamour magazine, in which the ad for
L'Oreal Visible Lift makeup appeared, is an example of a(n) _.
C. feedback loop
E. channel of communication
41. The billb
26. Communication is the process of conveying a message to others that requires six elements. These
elements include: a source, _, a channel of communication, a receiver, and the processes of
encoding and decoding.
A. a message
B. a concept
C. a brand
28. The IRR is the interest rate that makes the NPV of the project equal to zero. So, the IRR of the
0 = $20,000 $26,000 / (1 + IRR) + $13,000 / (1 + IRR)2
Even though it appears there are two IRRs, a spreadsheet, financial calculator, or tria
I = 10%
Financial calculators will only give you one IRR, even if there are multiple IRRs. Usin
The combination of one or more communication tools used to: (1) inform prospective buyers about the
benefits of the product; (2) persuade them to try it; and (3) remind them later about the benefits they
enjoyed by using the product is referred to as t
13. The promotional mix includes advertising, personal selling, sales promotion, _, and direct
A. public relations
14. The promotional mix includes advertising, personal selling, sa
147.Informing the consumer is the promotional objective during which stage of the product life cycle as
shown in Figure 18-2 above?
148.Persuading the consumer to buy the product rather than
153.At which stage in the product life cycle are discounts and coupons offered to both consumers and
intermediaries to maintain loyal buyers?
154.An unsatisfied customer who switches brands is
227. (p. 476) C
228. (p. 476) B
229. (p. 476) D
230. (p. 476) E
231. (p. 477) D
232. (p. 476) A
233. (p. 476) D
234. (p. 477) A
235. (p. 477) C
236. (p. 477) B
237. (p. 477) B
238. (p. 477) B
239. (p. 477) C
240. (p. 477) C
241. (p. 477) A
242. (p. 477) E
271. (p. 471-473) The best approach to budgeting is objective and task budgeting, whereby the company: (1) determines its promotion objectives;
(2) outlines the tasks to accomplish these objectives; and (3) determines the promotion cost of performing thes