Geology 201 Page 1 of 14
1 Read each question and the possible answers carefully. Select the best answer available. You do not need to
3 hurry: there is more than adequate time to complete this exam if you work at a steady pace.
1. Which of
and chemical breakdown
of rocks exposed at the surface
Change in the nature of the minerals
by water, w
Metamorphic Rocks and Processes
increase in temp and pressure and depth initiates metamorphic activity
- Geothermal Gradient rate of increase in temp with depth
- temp most important, effect of pressure varies
- shallow depth
3. Note that both formations (gray, brown) have the same thickness, but the one clipping 25° to the west makes a
much wider band on the geologic map (top of block). Why?
bc¥omamoN (mt/Vi AMG (,Cg warm <7
i if) («
Lab Section Date
Turn in the following pages with your graph.
1. What are the values of the streamows of the 20yr lOOyr oods for the Des
Moines River at Humboldt using:
a. The trendline given by Excel?
20yr IUOOcR-ss IOO-yr 2 ~\ I: 200 C)?
Read each question carefully, then read ALL possible answers given. Select the BEST
answer for the question as asked. Be sure to mark the correct bubble on the answer and
to ll it in completely. Use only a #2 pencil. Enter your nam
Read each question carefully. Look at all possible answers and select the one that best ts
the question as asked. Work steadily and you should have more than ample time to nish.
1. For any material in a stress eld, the th
QUIZ 6 Fall 2016
1. Consider this idealized slide of a block of weight W, where is the coefficient of
friction. The safety factor for this slide is
*a. ( cos )/( sin )
b. sin / cos
c. Same as the coefficient of friction
d. None of the above