1. Variety of apple that is a good choice for pies
a. Anything but red delicious
2. The variety of potato best for baking and mashing
a. Russet or mealy
3. Anthocyanins are stored in this part of the plant cell
4. Fruit ripens
Answer the following questions concisely, but completely.
let 1 cu.) ; 4?. -. a, .,
1. Calculate the amounts needed to HALVE the following ingredients in an Oatmeal Cookie recipe.
Show your work. Use the fewest number and most appropriate measurements.
1. Scientically explain how deepfat frying cooks food, and name 1 advantage and 1 disadvantage
of cooking food by deepfat frying compared to cooking food in boiling water. Also share 2 important
safety rules when deep-fat frying (9 points)
This is meant to be a study tool for help you to prepare for your exam. Of course not all of this
information will actually be on the exam, but this is the information that we want you to leave
FSHN 214 remembering. All of this information is important fo
\ab =2oo McKay.
I / FSHN 214: SCIENTIFIC STUDY OF FOOD
Fall Semester 2011
Course Description: Cr. 3 (30). Prereq: FSHN 167 or 265 and Chem 231 or 331. Composition and
structure of foods. Principles and practice of preparation of standard qu
Starch Terms: Define each term and name an example of each in food preparation.
Name the 4 types of meat (described
in this class), and each of their meat
colors and fat descriptions.
What are the two major proteins' In-
meat, and where are they located In a
Two major types of connective tissue
exist in meat. Name them and d
FSHN 214 Crystallization Worksheet
List characteristics unique to each product in the outside portions of the diagram and common characteristics in the center section.
Flour to Liquid
FSHN 214 ANSWER LINE
Consumers have called the Answer Line for help with food preservation techniques. Can you help?
1. A homemaker from LeMars asks: When I canned tomatoes, some of the jars didn't seal. What can I do to
make sure all the jars seal
Measurement Practice Answers
1 1/2 cup
12 T = 3/4 cup
16 T = 1 cup
4 tsp = 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp
3 tsp = 1 Tbsp
4 T = 1/4 cup
3/8 cup shortening
6 Tbsp. sugar