1. A desmosome anchors which of the following?
intermediate filaments in an epithelial cell to intermediate filaments in another epithelial
The main protein(s) providing tensile strength in connective tissue is
1. Which of the following are the same in all atoms of an element?
A. Number of neutrons.
B. Number of protons.
D. Atomic weight.
E. Number of neutrons plus protons.
2. The polar property of water is important for all of the follow
Textbook Resources on the
e.g.- movies, flashcard review
questions, and more
URL: www. garlandscience.com/ECB4students
Chapter 18 Cell death
1. What is necrosis? What is apoptosis? What is necroptosis?
What is autophagy? Be able to briefly compare and contrast the
different modes of cell death
2. Name four examples of apoptosis that occur during
1. In your own words, describe the scientific findings that resulted in the awarding of the Nobel prize to
Dr. Kobilka and Dr.Lefkowitz. (One paragraph/5 points)
They were awarded the noble prize for figuring out how the GPCRs correlate with one another.
Bio 314 HW 3
1. What was the major advance described in this research article over previous research in the area?
The Development of a new class of UBPs
2. Why is this considered to be an important finding?
The newly expanded genetic alpha
1. (5 points) Describe, in your own words, what the researchers did in this study. (This does not need to
be a figure by figure description, but rather should be in more general terms.) In addition to describing
the experiments, please be sure to note wha
Biology 314 HW
1. (5 points) In your own words, describe what tensegrity means to you. How does tensegrity help us
with our understanding of the cytoskeleton?
- Based on the reading, tensegrity, to me is like an assortment of very com
For this assignment we are to summarized the findings that these three men; Randy Schekman,
James Rothmand and Thomas Sudhof, found that led to the Nobel Prize of 2013. They received the 2013
Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine for
1. (5 points) What are cancer stem cells? What is one experiment, described in the reading, that led
researchers to believe that solid tumors (like breast cancer) can originate from stem cells?
Cancer stem cells are believed to represent the origin of mal
Due April 3rd by the end of the day (11:59 pm)
Please read Genetic control of the cell division cycle in yeast" by Hartwell, Culotti, Pringle and Reid
Write TWO paragraphs about the article:
In the first paragraph (5 points) please include the following:
1. For the following peptide: Arg-Lys-Ser-Phe-Arg-Ala-Leu Overall, it is
2. Which of the following amino acids would you expect to find more often near the center of a
folded globular protein?
4. The following reaction is a redu
1. Which of the following is NOT used as a signal sent from cell to another?
Monomeric G proteins
2. Which of the following statements is TRUE?
Cholera toxin modifies a
1. Imagine you identify a mutant that is defective in endocytosis. You examine the mutant by
electron microscopy and see that it contains uncoated vesicles accumulated near the plasma
membrane. Which component might you suspect is mutated?